The ban on changing the name of the network interface

• Hello, I want to ask for advice. There is a self-assembled NAS-based PC, OS OpenMediaVault 4.1.23-1. There is one built-in network interface with the name - enp5s0.

I noticed such a thing. If you plug in an additional card or remove it in the PC, the name of the network interface changes, it becomes unconfigured and there is no network access.

I will explain. I installed a discrete video card (no built-in card), which I pulled out of my PC as unnecessary (since access is still remote, less heat generation and electricity consumption). After that, the network card changed its name and I could not log in remotely via ssh. The same thing happened a few months earlier when I installed the usb port expansion card.

Is it possible to configure the network card so that it does not change the name under any circumstances?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would think this should not happen with Predictable Network Interface Names. In your situation I would check if you can achieve what you want by changing the PCI slot of the NIC. If you are now using the last slot, try to use the first one instead.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As mentioned before this shouldn’t happen. As from omv4. So unless there was an 3->4 upgrade could’ve been from ethx to enpXsX, but once it has predictable name shouldn’t change back unless you force it with udev. I would test again.
    But if by any chance keeps happening make a udev configuration to have the nic a static name. Check the web full of examples for this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!