multiple disks as a single share

• Hi everybody, currently I have a NAS, which houses a bunch of hdds, which are currently not integrated in a raid setup. Quite often I have to move stuff around from one hdd to another. My problem is that to do this, the data is downloaded from one share on the nas and then reuploaded to the other via the desktop pc, which makes this kind of transfer rather inefficient. So my question(s) would be:

Is there a way to:
    - achieve that these kind of transfers are handled internally on the nas (without falling back to the command line)
    - and to keep the solution integrated into omv, so that changes in omv would destroy the customizations.

• Possible solutions:
    [*]1. Webmin (recommend by some people here)
    [*]2. Custom samba share that symlinks all shares together

I never tried 2., but it should be possible. I used something like that to share the whole hard disk.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• the problem with 2. is that i do not know how to make my changes to the smb.conf persistent, i does not even seem possible to link files to the samba config using include, omv will just revert all the changes made if i ever again try to do anything samba related in the web interface (am I wrong?). also allowing samba to follow the links caused unexplicable strange behaviour of omv ;)

I solved that problem (at least for now) by manually mounting all disks (via the xml config file), as subdirectories of another disk, which i shared via the webinterface.

At least for me It be a great addition; if it was possible in omv to just add custom directories as samba shares using the web interface. Is there any chance that this feature could be added in the future?

• Just symlinks will do what he wants. This is what I use to make movies show in my main media/movies folder from other data drives. You don't need to mess with samba config file.... WTH

Symlinks are best solution. Way better then messing with more mount points or the XML file, this could be disastrous for noobs. We just need to get some more How/Tos out. Symlinks is long overdue.

I'll try to write something up when I get home. Check here tomorrow.

• Create a shared folder on one of your disks.
    SHare this folder via SMB/CIFS.
    Set the following under the extra options for the share:

Code
    symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes

Set the following under the extra options of the SMB/CIFS:

Code
    unix extensions = no
    follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes
    strict allocate = yes

Greetings
    David

Edit: Then symlink every disk to this share.
    Edit2: @Both of you: Its already here: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2256

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Symlinks work with nfs as well.

** edit - no they don't. mounts do but not symlinks. :oops:

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Do you something that I don't know? From my understanding and tests symlinks do not work with nfs!

The Problem with nfs and symlinks is that the symlinks are presented to the client that opens the nfs share. The client then trys to access this symlink on its own system which doesnt work.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

I guess you are right. I actually have the other drive mounted as a sub-directory. I was thinking it was symlink :oops:

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• sorry, cannot get that symlink creation to work. I cannot see the new symlink-share in the old share where i want to have the symlink.

I did the following:

1. added into the extra options in settings tab of smb/cifs:

unix extensions = no
    follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes
    strict allocate = yes

2. added into the extra options of the destination-share, where i want the symlink to link to (destination: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-4tbDrive2/serien_neu :(

symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes

After that i opened the Symlinks plugin and added the following symlink:

source: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-6tbDrive/video2/Serien (just the empty directory where i wanna see the content of the dest)
    dest: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-4tbDrive2/serien_neu (here are the current contents i wanna see)

After pressing save i get the following errormessage.

Any idea, what i do wrong?

regards

• I did exactly same as you @gkhar2 and I'm having the exactly same problem. It's imposible to me to create a symlink.

Someone can help us?

The problem is that you want to create an symlink on an folder. you must create the symlink and name it after the slash with an extra name. the folder name is: ./../folder and there you do an extra: /nameofthesymlink so the whole path is: -/../folder/nameofthesymlink

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!