Non Public SMB

• Hi all,

New to OMV, and only really used SMB to set up a network share on windows for my Shield TV to access.

I have OMV up and running on a Raspberry Pi 4, SMB worked fine, for both the Windows PC and the Shield TV while set up as "Guests Allowed".
    After I change the Public setting to "No" the Shield logs in as a registered user no problems but i keep getting an error on windows

The windows PC has no problems accesses the SMB share from the shield TV and vice versa

I know I am probably missing something stupid,

Thanks in advance for any help

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using the username and password you're currently using to log into the Windows machine, create a user with the exact same username and password (cap's and all) in OMV, under Access Rights Management, User. That should take care of the PC.
    (If it's a Windows 10 PC and the above doesn't work, please advise.)

• Hi thanks for the reply,

I was previously using a nonsense username and password.

I'v just Set up a new user with Windows machine User name and password (cap's and all)((user name: TV-PC)), added it to a Group with read/wright privileges, also added privileges to the user specifically.

I still get the same error.

ow and yes its windows 10 pro with "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" and "SMB Direct" windows features turned on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you taken a look at this -> Win10. After checking generic Win10 network settings, (skip creating the short cut), give the changes in Domain Connected Windows 10 Clients / Servers a look.

• Thanks the 1st step (setting my PC as a Home PC and not part of a business) worked, all shares mounted.

I continued thought the generic win 10 settings and I don't have "homegroup connections" options in the private Advanced Sharing Settings.

could this be to be a problem ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks the 1st step (setting my PC as a Home PC and not part of a business) worked, all shares mounted.

Awesome. :thumbup:

I don't have "homegroup connections" options in the private Advanced Sharing Settings.

could this be to be a problem ?

No. The homegroup was one of M$'s bad ideas. They did away with it some time ago, but left it in network options for those who were using it. They may have removed the menu option which means I should take another look at it and update the screen shot.

I'v just Set up a new user with Windows machine User name and password (cap's and all)((user name: TV-PC)),

For future ref:
    For each machine that accesses server shares, setup the same username and password that is used to log into the PC, in OMV, and you should be good to go.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For each machine that accesses server shares, setup the same username and password that is used to log into the PC, in OMV, and you should be good to go.

I would think this has "only" the advantage that you don't have to enter credentials. Otherwise any user/password should work (and works for me). Well, the user needs to have access to the share ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!