does OMV work with windows 10?

• I cannot see my OMV shares on my windows 10 machine.

I have read a lot of threads about windows 10 and OMV on this forum (and others) and followed all the instructions and nothing seems to work.

does windows 10 work with OMV now or not? It seems like Microsoft removed support for SMB sharing but none of the workarounds that the windows community reccomends seems to apply to a NAS.

I'm not sure where to start in terms of getting help, but heres generally what I have attempted
    In OMV: Set up a RAID, Set up a file system, Enabled SMB, made a share, made a shared folder, made a user, edited permissions so that the user has read/write/execute privliges.
    In Windows: I have checked firewall settings, enabeld SMB 1.0, Enabled network discovery and all other sharing settings I can find. I have tried most of the solutions at the below link:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/…19-4cd3-8183-56e20b8ce57d
    I have tries to map the netowrk drive but I cannot see any shared folders with any of these attempts.

OMV is running on a raspberry Pi 3. I am able to ping the pi from my Windows machine. And I can SSH in using Putty.

If anyone can help me get this going I'd really appreciate it. Happy to answer any questions. I know this is a vague description of my issue; since I don't know what the problem is I am not sure what details are important to convey.

Thanks in advance!

• definitely does work(although i cant get it working right for me atm lol).

does it work if set up as as "Guests Allowed"?

if so it looks like your in a similar position to me
    https://forum.openmediavault.o…ead/28110-Non-Public-SMB/

Using the username and password you're currently using to log into the Windows machine, create a user with the exact same username and password (cap's and all) in OMV, under Access Rights Management, User. That should take care of the PC.
    (If it's a Windows 10 PC and the above doesn't work, please advise.)

didn't work for me but, its all i can sugest (apart from trying "Guests Allowed")

• Offizieller Beitrag

In addition to what @geaves recommended:

Look at Win10 generic settings in this guide. If the generic network settings do not work, take a look at Domain Connected Windows 10 Clients. This may work for tougher OEM modified and other types of Win10 installs.

• I have the same issue, I have to type the address into the address bar...like this

\\192.168.x.x

They have to be backslashes because its Windows and then the IP address.

I have spent ages trying to get it to show.
    Hope this works for you

• There should be some apps that could make OMV work on Windows. Usually people find some ways to start OMV or any other programs on different operating systems. The best thing to do is to find an analog of this program that are going to work perfectly on their native operating systems. I was using Mac and it has a lot of analogs for almost all the know programs that we use like Word and Excell. Now I bought a new PC on Windows 10 because I need it for my job and its easier to work and to find solutions. Moreover I can easily find everything I want, for free (recently I found free driver update software for all the stuff in my computer).

• I just shut it all down. Too big a hassle to connect from Windows 10 & 11 or MacOS. I can map drives but cannot creates folders or copy paste files to shared folders.

It is no easier and cheaper (in my time) to just but 1 TB SSDs and connect as external drives.

I will find a better use for my RPi.

Thanks for all the assistance.

KAOSKEN

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just shut it all down. Too big a hassle to connect from Windows 10 & 11 or MacOS. I can map drives but cannot creates folders or copy paste files to shared folders.

It is no easier and cheaper (in my time) to just but 1 TB SSDs and connect as external drives.

I will find a better use for my RPi.

I suspect there is some recent problem with Windows and Samba. I hope it is resolved soon.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!