1ste NAS, using T610 and 2 WD elements 8Tb....... which filesystem, Raid1 or other solution

• Bought a T610 Thin Client, 16Gig flash drive, installed OMV on it.
    Have 2 WD elements 8Tb external drives.
    Thought of creating a Raid 1 array, if possible.
    But maybe there are other, better solutions to create a NAS.
    Mainly used for BackUp and data sharing over the home network.
    Maybe some filesharing to and from the internet in the future.
    Might want to run a webserver on it too... ( If I can figure it out.. )

Which setup would You choose? Raid1, or something else...
    The Thin Client has 2 USB3 ports.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thought of creating a Raid 1 array, if possible.

Not possible now raid using USB has been disabled, you can do it from the command line -> but if it goes wrong don't call us we'll call you :)

Best option one drive for data and the other running rsnapshot.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about an external Raid enclosure ( ie Orico ) connected through USB3??

That looks funky :) but OMV would see it as a USB device, irrespective of the dip switches, and the USB could be a bottleneck, those are produced for use on Windows.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about an external Raid enclosure ( ie Orico ) connected through USB3??

This would work and give you RAID1, but,, your drives are permanently married to that enclosure (or one just like it). What does that mean? OMV would be completely unaware of the RAID1 mirror. If you lose a drive, the "enclosure" is what you'd be working with to recover the drive and the enclosure doc's that describe the recovery process would have to be good. (Usually they're not, and hardware RAID recovery options are very limited.) All I would say to that would be "good luck".

If you want to use that enclosure, you'd be far better off to use the two disks independently as @geaves has suggested. Either setup rsnapshot on the 2nd disk or setup an Rsync disk mirror. This would give you backup. (RAID1 is not backup.)

**Edit: This enclosure has a built in sleep mode that may not play well with OMV. I would avoid it - your call.

• Thanks, I do understand that.

Going that route I connected a 8Tb WD disk via USB3 to the T610 with OMV installed. I can acces that disk.

Now I want to copy over data from an external ntfs formatted USB3 disk connected to the other usb3 port of the T610... using USBbackup..

And: fail... -->

I found a post describing the same problem, but no solution yet...

Is OMV able to read ( and therefore copy over ) data from a ntfs formattted external disk?

• When i UNcheck " Synchronise to/from to directory on external storage device " the BackUp seems to go well...

But I'm still scared to loose my data....

( English isn't my native language AND all this stuff is new, so I'm uncertain most of the time..... :) )

What does " Synchronise to/from to directory on external storage device " do, exactly??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is OMV able to read ( and therefore copy over ) data from a ntfs formattted external disk?

It can read NTFS, but I have not tried it myself. The only restriction I'm aware of is setting a shared folder on an NTFS drive or sub-dir, and I'm not sure if that was implemented.

What do you mean, by:

I can acces that disk.

Have you looked at the NTFS disk on the CLI using PuTTY or something like WinSCP?

If you're looking to move all data from one disk to another disk (a full disk to disk mirror), take a look at this guide on page 64 in the current version. (There are links and information on PuTTY and WinSCP as well.) If the destination disk is large enough to hold the data being transferred, dissimilar disk sizes won't matter.

If you do not use the --delete switch in the command line (highly recommended when running the first job disk to disk copy) Rsync is safe to use. Just format the destination disk with EXT4 and give it a try. (Your source disk would be NTFS and your destination disk would be EXT4.)

There are links to a translation page where the guide can be translated to your language. It's kind of tricky to figure it out and translations are never perfect, but the result may be something you can use.

• Thanks.

I wasn't sure what the aforementioned command would do. ( " Synchronise to/from to directory on external storage device " )

+ It started with copying over .trash files..... which I could see........ when I UNchecked this " Synchronise to/from to directory on external storage device " command....

I wasn't sure what was happening ( because those trash folder was hissen, ofcourse on the ntfs disk. ). So I thought that my data was being destoyed... So I aborted.
    In the end I think the copyproces was doing just fine.... after UNchecking " Synchronise to/from to directory on external storage device ". Why is that? I just don't understand ( partly as a result of a languagebarrier....

Than I disconnected the NTFS disk, reconnected it to a Linux Mint box ( where a pop-up warned me about not able to mount and disk might be part of a raid and such.. While I am perfectly able to acces that ntfs drive, as a matter of fact I now AM copying over the files to the 8Tb ext4 drive... ) and formatted my other WD 8Tb drive as EXT4. But how the hell can the transferspeed of 2 usb3 drives connected to the same PC be as low as 11 mb/s?? I expected it to be 8 times that speed... Now I will wait for 4 days until 3.3Tb is copied over.. Here you have a reason to pay attention to this stuff!!
    As soon as this backup is done, I can give it another try.. Because I have a backup....
    I do want to get to know this software.
    And, for now, I do want to move forard with that T610 solution and USB disks... Heat and noise and powerconsuption are the main reasons..
    I've got an old PC laying around, able to run OMV... which I could use..

• It can read NTFS, but I have not tried it myself. The only restriction I'm aware of is setting a shared folder on an NTFS drive or sub-dir, and I'm not sure if that was implemented.
    What do you mean, by:

Have you looked at the NTFS disk on the CLI using PuTTY or something like WinSCP?___________________________________________________
    My main PC's are Linux Mint boxes.. No Putty needed..

I aborted the USB backup proces, until I nderstand what exactly it is doing.. And I know what to do....
    I connected the ntfs and a neew 8Tb WD disk to my main Mint PC and am copying over the files.... Albeit sloooooooow....

Edit: Surpriseeee... :) Copyspeed is back at 40.9 Mb/s now.. 19H waiting...

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von TTS

My main PC's are Linux Mint boxes.

I was referring to looking at the disk (with PuTTY or WinSCP) when it's attached to OMV.

I aborted the USB backup proces, until I nderstand what exactly it is doing.. And I know what to do....
    I connected the ntfs and a neew 8Tb WD disk to my main Mint PC and am copying over the files....

Not sure exactly what you were doing here but, without the --delete switch, an Rsync disk to disk copy is safe. Anyway, doing this the way you're comfortable is usually best.

Albeit sloooooooow....

Edit: Surpriseeee... Copyspeed is back at 40.9 Mb/s now.. 19H waiting.

Depending on how much data is on the drive and other factors, big copies can take a long time. When it's done just look it over and compare the two closely.

• I just tried to use USB backup.... within OMV.
    But ran into difficulties, which I didn't understand, nor was able to solve ( quick enough.. )
    Wanted to be safe with a BackUp of my data, FIRST.

So I aborted copying using OMV and USB backup..

Went back to connecting the ntfs disk and another new 8Tb WD external disk to my main PC, running Linux Mint.
    Now I'm copying the data from ntfs to Ext4 on the second 8Tb WD disk. I believe this is safer. Now @ 50.9 Mb/s....

When this is done, I can retry to copy this second WD USB disk to the OMV NAS in a safer way, because I have a data/files backup and an EXT4 disk to copy the data from...

In the meantime I will have a look at the OMV NAS setup.. Maybe start all over again, regarding users read/write rights etc...

• I did a new install off OMV on the T610, which was a pain, because Grub wouldn't install right..... Which I was able to manage manually.
    After that I started configuring OMV with "guest allowed" when sharing folders. Makes things easier, I guess, in the beginning.
    Data copying is from ntfs data disk is almost done. Than I will try USBbackup again... to copy all my data to the NAS.
    So far so good.

Edit: What I did wrong, without knowing, the first time I tried USBbackup, is trying to choose a folder with the + button, instead of the v ( Arrow down ) button. Not knowing they have different results.. As a total newby I thought they had the same functionality.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!