Copy files from NTFS drive to OMV

• First and foremost, I'd just like to mention that I have been reading (Solutions to common problems thread, Google, etc.) and troubleshooting my issue for a few days now and asking for help online is the absolute last resort.

I am a novice linux user but have managed to successfully install OMV, Plex Container, UnionFS, Shared Folders, Shellinabox, etc.

My 8TBs of data are on a single external hard drive in an NTFS file system that was previously used on my Windows 10 machine. The drive is mounted in OMV and has been added as a shared folder. The root folder contains structured folders for data, videos, music, games, etc.

I am aware that NTFS is trash and do not intend to use it. I simply want to copy the data directly to the 14TB pool, reformat the drive to ext4, and then use it as a backup. I may even just shuck it and just add it as an internal drive.

Rsync seemed like the simplest solution. I setup up a job and added the source (external) and destination. When I run the job, it immediately finishes, displaying little to no data transfers.

I fired up Krusader and can only see the root folder of the external drive, no subfolders.

I'm still trying to fully grasp permission issues and know there are plenty regarding NTFS. However, I thought I could simply copy the files straight over and be done with it.

I'm about ready to just start transferring 8TB of data over my network but I am hoping there is a simpler (faster) solution and that I am just missing something or misunderstanding the issue all together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would login to the OMV NAS remotely using SSH. Then install Midnight Commander, mc, and use that to move files around. Midnight Commander is an extremely powerful, but easy to use, filemanager that runs in text mode, including via SSH.

Or possibly rsync on the command line. If the drive is mounted on the NAS then it is simple:

rsync -a source destination

If it is a lot of data and lengthy transfers I would run "screen" first so that I can close the SSH connection and the file transfers continues.

You might want to use the plugin resetperms afterwards to ensure correct attributes.

• You can also do what Adoby said. If you know of everything he mentioned, this might be a little bit faster solution. But if not - just transfer it via gigabit network and you won´t run into permission problems at all.

• I previously tried using Cloud Commander. I assume it is similar to Midnight Commander? I wasn't able to even see the drive in Cloud Commander. The /srv directory is empty. I still have all the data on my Windows 10 machine, so I just went the network route. Finished all the videos files last night. So it's not taking terribly long and I don't need immediate access to the data or anything.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If Cloud Commander is running logged in on the server in question, as a user with sufficient rights, then I assume that it works similar to Midnight Commander. I don't know. I've never used Cloud Commander. But if /srv was empty it wasn't running logged in locally or it is very different from mc.

• I am certain that i'm dealing with some rights issues. Plex is not seeing any of the data I just transferred over the network either. I'll figure it out.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I usually run the plugin resetperm after going under the hood on OMV. It is an easy way to fix any problems with ownership and read/write rights. Of course a bash script with find, chown and chmod could do the same.

• I'll try doing that, Adoby. I'm about ready to just wipe the entire system and start over. I've looked at and watched so many guides trying to figure this thing out that I wouldn't be surprised if I botched something along the way.

I think my issue now is related to the host path of the unionfs. Plex is just not seeing any of the media files. Do I have to input the full /srv/[long_seq_lettnumbs_for_unionfs] into the host folder field?

• I'll try doing that, Adoby. I'm about ready to just wipe the entire system and start over. I've looked at and watched so many guides trying to figure this thing out that I wouldn't be surprised if I botched something along the way.

I think my issue now is related to the host path of the unionfs. Plex is just not seeing any of the media files. Do I have to input the full /srv/[long_seq_lettnumbs_for_unionfs] into the host folder field?

Well, that didn't work. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. As for the permissions, the only settings that will not change is the recursive settings for files and subfolders. I turn it on, save and apply and it resets right back to disabled. But apparently this is a bug? Idk.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!