Moving/copying from one OMV to another

• Hello! I'm not sure where I should've put this subject, so please excuse me for having done anything wrong.

I've repurposed some older hardware and hard drives into a OMV box for a buddy of mine. I'd like to copy the majority of my existing media library from my OMV machine onto it for him, but I don't want to have to use my windows box and leave it on while 5+TB of data copies (if I can help it).

Is there a way to copy directly from one machine to the other?

Thanks for your time.

• You have some options for direct machine to machine without USB related solutions. A Gbit connection will help a lot for that size of data. Will take some time though.

GUI:
    You can use an SMB connection, using the Remote Desktop plugin in one of the machines. Connect as a normal desktop and start the transfer from one to the other using shared folders on each one.

No GUI:
    Use rsync to sync all directories from one machine to the other over the network. (This one should work great for machine to machine.

NOW:
    Mac mini Late 2012 / macOS Catalina / Docker Desktop for Mac
    Intel Core i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz - 16GB RAM - 4 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 20 docker containers via docker-compose ;)
    PREVIOUS:
    omv 5.2.1-1 (Usul) - Bevy NUC thanks to TechnoDadLife (NUC5CPYB)
    Celeron N3050 @ 1.60GHz - 8GB RAM - 2 external disks via USB3.0 - Gigabit Ethernet - 21 docker containers via docker-compose :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the machine local or remote? How are your drives set up? (in a USB enclosure, software raid, etc)?

Moving 5tb of data is just going to take time. Assuming your drives are not set up in RAID... you could pull them one by one, put them in his server, and run a simple rsync job to copy the data on to his drive. Repeat as necessary for however many drives you have. This would be the fastest if he has an available SATA port and your drives are "individual" drives rather than a software RAID, etc. If he doesn't have a SATA port available, you could pull the drive(s) and put it in an external enclosure, and rsync it via USB. Not as fast as SATA, but it will get the job done.

If your drives are in RAID and the machine is local... you could just setup an rsync job, and sync it over your network. This isn't really as bad as you might think. I've synced about 3tb of data over a gigabit network in a few hours.

If the friend's server is remote (ie, you're at your house and he's at his)... I'm not really sure there's a fast way to do this. You'll be limited by your upload speed and/or his download speed.

• Okay, so the machines are local. I have both connected to the same 16-port gigabit switch. Both are also using the union filesystem bit to make one big pool out of the available drives on each machine. There are a number of things that I know he'd be very unlikely to take interest in, but for the sake of simplicity I'd want to copy large folders all at once and then delete sub-folders later.

Time isn't an issue. If I can set a job/task and walk away then there's no problem. Obviously the sooner I get it done then the sooner I can get it to him and his family (I'm also giving him a perfectly functional Libreelec box), but this isn't some mission-critical obligation I have to him. In fact, he said he's not sure he'd use it much but I'm betting once him, his wife and his stepdaughter see all that's available to them I'm sure they'll be pretty happy with it.

• You could run Midnight Commander on one machine and connect to the other with a Shell Link. Then copy folders across.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could use MC as said above, and do it manually... or rsync which will sort of be "set it and forget it" and will just run till it finishes... then repeat as necessary. If you have a ton of shares in the webUI, this could make it a long process.

You say you're using unionfs..

Here's an example of a local job I did to an oDroid... After the first sync, this job was modified as I use it as a remote backup... it was just easier to do the large first sync local as it was faster.

On my server, here's how my Data is laid out...

/sharedfolders/Disk_2/Data
    /sharedfolders/Disk_2/Media
    /sharedfolders/Disk_2/Media/Movies

and so forth. Basically everything is under Disk_2. So for me, the easiest way to do a sync, was to sync everything under "Disk_2" to a share on the remote server

So... I took an oDroid, and I created a share on it called 'Disk_3'

Then I just setup the rsync job

1. First, on his server... in the webUI, make sure you've got a user set up in the webUI, a shared folder you can sync to, and that that user can write to that directory.

2. On his server, in the webUI, go click rsync/server tab, and enable that then save and apply the changes. Note the port that is here... I can't remember if I left it as default, but mine is set to 873.

3. EDIT: Realized I forgot to add the module, which is fairly critical. On his server, Click Module/Add. Then add his share to rsync (see second pic for setup). The main thing is to add the Share, and set your user.

4. Now on your server (see attached pic for an example).... in the webUI go to rsync, and on the jobs tab, click Add... then set up the job as follows:

At the top you can leave the enable trigger off. Unless you want to schedule this job. Since this job will probably be ran and then deleted... I wouldn't enable it.

Type of job: remote

Mode: Push.. You're going to push from your sever to his

Source: This is the shared folder on YOUR server you're going to sync

Destination server: This is your friends server.... so it will be "rsync://username@serverip:port/share_on_his_server" Note, all of this info is from HIS server, not yours.

Authentication: Password

Password: this will be the password for the user on HIS server.

Save the job. Everything else is more or less irrelevant in this case, as it relates to scheduling, etc. Since this is probably going to be a one time job and then this gets deleted, I wouldn't worry about it.

Once at the main rsync screen... click on the job and click run. The job should run and you should see it syncing the two shares. When it's done... you can modify it and add a new share to sync... then save and run it again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!