Why Moving Files in the same drive is slow

• Here's my hardware. I use this at home for backup and Streaming.
    Xeon E-2176G
    2*8G DDR4
    OS drive: Liteon 128G nvme
    Storage drive: Intel D4502 nvme
    network: 10Gb SFP+

I put my media files at wrong folders so I want to move them. I did that in windows using SMB. It pass through network, only 100MB/s. Why nvme drive and 10Gb connection act like this?
    So I installed Krusader to try moving files in the NAS. Faster than PC. About 150-400MB/s. Still slow
    When moving files in a same disk on windows it should instant complete. Why is slow on my nas? I can't understand the difference

• Maybe the same problem as in your other thread: Can't reach 10Gb transfer

The transfer speed is heavily dependent of the file size. The transfer speed decreases if you have a lot of small files. And it increases if you transfer e.g. large media files.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you move files in the same filesystem it is typically almost instantaneous.

However if the files are on different shares on a NAS then any client sees every share as separate filesystems. Even though the shares actually are folders in the very same partition. The client has no way of knowing that. That means that to move a file the client must read the contents over the network from one share, write it over the network to another share, and when done delete the old file. That is very slow!

One fix is to not have a lot of shares. I only have one (that is shared) on each of my OMV servers.

Another "fix" is to login remotely on the NAS using SSH and move the files there. Either using commands like cp, mv, mkdir, rm and rsync or using a powerful text based file manager like Midnight Commander (mc). If you do this on the /srv mount for the drive, then all the shares are on the same partition. I think... If you do it on the /sharedfolders mount they are not.

When I move files between my OMV servers I also do this using a SSH login and mc or rsync. That way the files can travel directly from one server to another with GbE speeds, without also having to travel via my WiFi - attached laptop.

• Another "fix" is to login remotely on the NAS using SSH and move the files there.

I understand that he did this already by installing Krusader on the NAS (But I am not sure):

So I installed Krusader to try moving files in the NAS.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

If he moved the files between "folders" for the shares in /sharedfolders then it is still different filesystems, since the "folders" actually are separate mounted filesystems.

If he did it in the /srv path for the drive, then it should be instantaneous, there the folders are actually folders. t least I think so. I haven't tested.

• I only have one (that is shared) on each of my OMV servers.

I did this at the beginning.But I found that seperate shares are easy to manage for many plugin or docker apps.
    I'm not familiar with Linux. So shares are more like different disk on windows. I get it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!