HP Proliant Microserver N54L

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• HP Proliant Microserver N54L

Hi all,

Sorry for my English, I am Dutch :)

I want to replace my old Netgear NAS. I have an old microserver from HP from an earlier project. It has 16 gigs of ram and a AMD Turion II Neo CPU. I am plannin got install OMV on an 16 gig usb flash drive. I will be using the NAS mostly for basic storage, backups and stream a movie now and then.

Will this setup do for this purposes or do i have to get an hardware upgrade?

Thanks in advance.
    • It will work very well for the things you list.

The only problem might be if you have video that needs transcoding. For instance 4K video to 1080p. That might be an issue. But usually you can stream the original file and let the clients scale as needed. Then it is only the network speed that might be limiting.
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 5 x 12TB, 1 x 8TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 2TB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • I have one And need to put an aditional fan in the front to cooler the HD properly

The CPU have high usare on SMB transfer, but works well.

I do not transcode en plex to avoid CPU high usage.
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ; ctop
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • Exactly this one is running with omv at my home since i bought it.

Currently it has some performance issues when using for plex transcoding highres movies.

Also sometimes it "lost" one HDD in the four hotplug trays. Reconnecting them one by one solved this issue as well.

I use 4 x WD 4 TiB and one 120G system disk with no issues except the two mentioned before.´

My second system is an N40L as Local Backup Device (UrBackup). It is working, but not fast enough in my opinion.
      Meine Projekte: www.och-group.de
      OpenMediaVault NAS, Xbian/OpenELEC Raspberry Pi, Tomato, VPN ...

No Help via PM!!!