Raspberry Pi 4 and random freezes (bad SD-card?)

• So i have been running for last couple of days my RPI4 setup (Running OMV 4 v. 2-3-3 plus 4)

However, i am getting some problems with this setup. (Using this with my 3 WD Mybooks. 2 of them are brand new and 1 is less than 150 hours of wear in smart. So pretty new drives)

This is being used as an Torrent box, Plex server (Not really used it yet that much), occasinally rsync one folder to another drive and an overall NAS-server

My problem with this is that randomly it just "freezes". I cannot PUTTY into it, wont open the OMV dashboard from the browser etc. (tried 2 different PC's). Only thing i can do is plug the power courd out and re-mount it. (REALLY, not ideal. But cannot do anyhting else)

also this is my second PI, this one is 4gb and perviously i had 2gb model.

The 2gb model did the same thing, however i throught it was because of temps. Now i'm running heatsink on the 4gb model and an Noctua fan. (Highest Temps i got was 50C, usually howers around 35-45C)

However, I am running old Sandisk Ultra 32gb SD-card. Could this be the issue?
    Ordered 32gb SanDisk Extreme Pro and should receive it tommorrow. In the mean time would love to hear your opinnion on this.

Thanks!

• It is recommended to use a tool like Etcher in order to write the image to the SD card. Etcher checks the data integrity after writing.

A lot of cheap SD cards are fakes with smaller capacity as announced. Therefore every new card should be tested eg. which H2testw before first usage.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• SD Card manufacturers do not support using them for an OS so this is not entirely unexpected. You could consider retiring cards which do not perform and/or try different brands. NOTE that there is no advantage in using Class10 cards on a Pi - even though they are better at HD video (they are optimised for high speed sequential writing).
    Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l

• Offizieller Beitrag

SD Card manufacturers do not support using them for an OS so this is not entirely unexpected.

While the SD card manufacturer may not support it (not sure they say they won't though), there are plenty of servers that have one or two (mirrored) SD cards slots that are designed to have the OS boot from the sd card. If the OS is doing everything it can to minimize writes (flashmemory plugin does this), I don't see a problem with SD card used for the OS. arm boards don't have much of a choice in most cases.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

lways recommend if your have a crazy issue with and sd or usb is to set all bits 0 or do a secure wipe of the drive. or to get a new on

For the cost of an SD card, if you are having issues, get a new one. Most likely it is wearing out and writing 0s to it just adds wear. A secure wipe is even worse.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!