No Raid with OMV4 on Raspberry4

• Hi,
    it´s my first time with OMV, but ´m not new on raspbian.
    So the installation was simple I´ve used the OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz build at 17.7.2019 .
    For the first try I want to use 2 USB-Sticks with 16GB an create an RAID1
    I can see the to sticks and have erased them.
    While choosing the Sticks in the Raid-Dialog an pressing create I get an Error-Message.

mdadm: Note: this array has metadata at the start and
    may not be suitable as a boot device. If you plan to
    store '/boot' on this device please ensure that
    your boot-loader understands md/v1.x metadata, or use
    --metadata=0.90
    mdadm: size set to 15232384K
    mdadm: largest drive (/dev/sdb) exceeds size (15232384K) by more than 1%
    mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run
    mdadm: unexpected failure opening /dev/md0

Can someone help me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You may have erased the thumbdrives, but use the wipe function in OMV as well.
    I believe it is not recommended to use RAID on USB connected drives. And it is not supported by OMV. I believe that power failures are extra likely to leave the array out of sync. Or something similar very, very bad. Not sure.

• Offizieller Beitrag

USB Raid is not supported in the webUI... pure and simple.

If you insist on proceeding in this route, you'll need to set it up command line style.

A wiser decision would be to set up the two drives independently, then set up a simple rsync job that runs a couple times a day, that will bring the drives in sync.

• Thank You for your answers. I´ve read about the recommendation not to use usb-drive but i thought it should work for a try.
    Wish hardware do i need to set up a real Raid1?
    An Raspberry Sata-Controller? - ´m not sure!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wish hardware do i need to set up a real Raid1?

Real Raid1 :?: no such thing and you don't need any special hardware, do a google search for mdadm, as @KM0201 has said this is simply a very bad idea. If it goes wrong without sounding rude you're on your own :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!