Stuck on 2.2.14

• I'm looking to update my system in the easiest way possible. I don't have the infrastructure to put my data elsewhere while I update my OS, so everything will have to stay in place.

I really only need to get a base set of updates so I can use some of the newer plugins, but when I check for updates I get errors.

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; apt-get update 2>&1': Ign file: Release.gpg Ign file: Release Ign file: Translation-en Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org wheezy Release.gpg Ign http://ftp.us.debian.org

etc. Leading me to believe I have a wrong pointer or these are no longer hosted.

Is there a way I can just stay on OMV2 for ease, and how do I do that?

If not, is there a way I can update my OS while saving my configuration and leaving all my data where it is already located?

• Okay, read more posts and it looks like 2 is DEAD, so I'll have to do an upgrade and it's suggested to skip 3 and just fresh to 4.

My only concern is with getting my RAID1 arrays recognized again. "Switch to Storage >> File Systems >> Click your File System >> Click "Mount"" sounds good, but is there anything I need to do BEFORE I start the process?

Also, if I were wanting to switch to a new MOBO/CPU combo, is this the time to do it? Will I have any more issues with my RAID arrays if I replace those items?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unplug the power cable on the raid drives. This should leave only your OS drive connected.

Put OMV4 on a flash drive, and complete the install to your OS drive.

Shutdown, connect the power cables on your RAID drives.

Boot up, mount the RAID's then set up your services, shared folders, etc. again

• I must not understand how raid arrays function.

Sorry, but that´s not a good approach when using RAID. Did you have a backup of your data? This is highly recommended before "playing" with RAID.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

How does the new OS know there's a raid available?

Usually the RAID is auto detected.

To be sure make a clone of your OS drive. So if there is an issue with the new installation you can go back.

In any case you should really make a backup of your data as soon as possible. RAID is not backup and it adds another layer of complexity.

• Offizieller Beitrag

How does the new OS know there's a raid available?

When RAID is setup, a superblock is written to the drive and RAID flags are set in the drives partition data. When the drives are mounted, OMV reads this information and knows the RAID type and how many drives are involved. This makes a software RAID array "portable".

Still, the advice given above shouldn't be ignored. With data and OS backup, you'll have options if something goes wrong.

• Sorry, but that´s not a good approach when using RAID. Did you have a backup of your data? This is highly recommended before "playing" with RAID.

My arrays are still in place, and of course I have off site backups.

Usually the RAID is auto detected.
    To be sure make a clone of your OS drive. So if there is an issue with the new installation you can go back.

In any case you should really make a backup of your data as soon as possible. RAID is not backup and it adds another layer of complexity.

OS drive is imaged with Clonezilla on a regular basis, we're good there. Again, I have a backup.

When RAID is setup, a superblock is written to the drive and RAID flags are set in the drives partition data. When the drives are mounted, OMV reads this information and knows the RAID type and how many drives are involved. This makes a software RAID array "portable".
    Still, the advice given above shouldn't be ignored. With data and OS backup, you'll have options if something goes wrong.

Exactly what I was wondering, thanks! Can any system read and utilize this super block, or just OMV/Debian systems?

I have no idea where I gave people the idea that I'm not following best practices (Backups and such). I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to learn, not just blindly follow a guide!

• I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to learn, not just blindly follow a guide!

Exemplary behaviour! :)

I have no idea where I gave people the idea that I'm not following best practices (Backups and such).

This is pure fear of us. There are plenty of threads here where people request help for RAID topics and some of them lost all of their data at the end.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can any system read and utilize this super block, or just OMV/Debian systems?

Yes, where a current Linux OS is concerned. (Linux to Linux.) However, as it with anything, there are no guarantees. Hence the cautionary note on backup.

@cabrio_leo is right, in this regard. We're all nervous and jumpy when it comes to RAID. It seems that very few users actually backup their data before it's too late. There are several RAID horror stories on this forum where users do something routine with their arrays or make a minor mistake in recovery, and lose it all with no backup.

• Good to know I'm on the right track. Next is a basic permissions question.

When it comes to setting up the new OS with an existing file system, how do I make sure all of my files will be available to the appropriate accounts/users?

Meaning, if a file was "Owned" on the last OS by User1, do I need to make sure the new OS has an account named User1, or is there some other way to deal with this?

Sorry if my question is not clear, file permissions are something I struggle with.

• You need to recreate every user after your OMV installation. If that does not work as expected, you can download and install the "reset perm" plugin and reset the basic file permissions for every shared folder you want.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!