Upgrading to a Ryzen, what do you think?

• Looking at a new Mobo/CPU combo to replace my AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black.

Current considerations:

Asus STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
    $75 @ Microcenter

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
    $200 @ Microcenter

Kingston 16GB DDR4 PC4-2400Mhz ECC Unbuffered SDRAM Memory Module KTH-PL424E
    $82 @ Ebay

What do we think, will this setup serve me well?

Just for fun, a comparison of old vs new CPU: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/c…D-Ryzen-7-2700X/371vs3238

• Offizieller Beitrag

I run two instances of Emby and two of Watchtower. I also run MQTT Mosquitto and Node-RED. I am experimenting with Nextcloud and MariaDB.

I also run LMS, but installed "on the metal". I have a bunch of SqueezeBoxes both some original and some built on RaspBerry Pi Zero W, PHat DAC and AudioPro T10.2

I run it on ODroid HC2s. 5 with 12TB Ironwolf, one with 8TB Ironwolf and one with a 2TB Crucial MX500 SSD.

I'm waiting for Hardkernel to start a sale on the HC2, then I may buy a bunch more.

I have bought a couple of RPi4B and RPi3B+. I may use them to run the home automation and a central web cam server. With storage on one of the OMV NAS.

Have a look at my old thread about ODroid HC2 here:

My new NAS: Odroid HC2 and Seagate Ironwolf 12TB.

The HC1/HC2 are old now. Only 32 bit and only 2GB RAM and only USB2 and only one SATA. On paper there are many better SBCs. But strangely the HC2 is still a great package punching harder than expected with hard to beat performance for simple file sharing tasks and light media streaming.

• Just make sure the board+CPU combo supports ECC.
    Even though AMD Ryzen supports ECC, it doesn't mean the motherboard makers have implemented support in the UEFI for it.
    It wold seem you're ok with that combo though.
    AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
    4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz ECC and non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

You're also going to want to sticks of RAM for optimal performance and ideally a bit faster RAM as well.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Ya, I checked that in the specs previously.

That is the fastest ram which I can afford, do you really think it will be a bottleneck? I will get a second stick in the future if I need it, and then I'll gain some dual channel benefit, right?

• Ya, I checked that in the specs previously.
    That is the fastest ram which I can afford, do you really think it will be a bottleneck? I will get a second stick in the future if I need it, and then I'll gain some dual channel benefit, right?

Well, Ryzen 2000 might not be as sensitive to fast RAM as the Ryzen 3000 series CPUs, as AMD did a lot of changes to how the CPUs work. Bottle neck, well, maybe not, but you're not going to get the most out of that CPU with slow RAM. Again, it depends on how much it really matters to what your'e going to use your NAS for.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Are you upgrading to Ryzen 3600 or better? Why or why not?
    Me personally, I don't see my 2600 and 2070 at my Apknite company bottlenecking or having stunted performance for a few years. Even in games like The Division 2 at absolute maxed out settings, as ultra as ultra can be at 1080p, I'm still rocking at 100-120fps with no bottlenecking. Even the 1600 generation is still rocking and I haven't seen games even require a recommended spec that makes you go "oh crap I need to upgrade."

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!