My first DIY NAS

• Hello everyone!

I want to build a new NAS and therefore need your help. I've done a little research and came up with the following configuration:

Asrock J5005-ITX
    4 or 8GB Ram ?
    ~120 gb ssd for omv (Crucial BX500?)
    1-2 tb ssd for files (Samsung 860 qvo)
    4-6 tb hdd for backups (WD red)
    pico psu with a notebook psu

The big ssd would be for the fileserver with daily needed files, while the hdd should backup the ssd as well as 3 PCs on a weekly schedule.
    Also the system should be able to run a few docker containers. I thought about Nextcloud, logitech media server (for my lovely squeezebox), pihole, vpn server and maybe a teamspeak and or matrix server.

Do you think the J5005 can handle this? As an alternative I found the EPYC3101D4I-2T from ASRockRack which can handle ECC Ram. But I think it is maybe too powerful? Also at the moment it is not available in germany and I expect it to be a lot more expensive than the J5005.

I have not yet decided witch case I want to use. The node 304 from fractal design looks promising. For me it is important, that the case is rather small and really silent. Do you have any suggestions?

Do you think this is a reasonable build or should I change something?

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Be careful to check that the J5005-itx actually support running Linux. Quick googling suggests that it might be a problem. But that might be outdated information? Also note that it is unlikely that you will be able to use all the advanced features of the motherboard from Linux, even if you got it working.

There is little to no point in having shared data storage on a SSD. For most use cases it will be the network that will be the bottleneck. Actually OMV doesn't need much in terms of hardware for basic filesharing and the tasks you mention. Using brand new hardware with the latest features is risky. And may not provide much benefit.

I would suggest that you get two really big spinning drives.And use the first for shares and backup of clients and the second for rsync backups of the shares on the first. Get the biggest drives you can afford. I like the 12 TB Ironwolf NAS drives.

I would go either for a 16-32GB decent USB thumbdrive for the root filesystem, or a MX500 250GB drive. 120GB BX500 would most likely be OK, and the price is attractive, but I like the better warranty and durability of the MX500.

If you go for the thumb drive, then just make sure that LMS and all other software and docker images and databases and Metadata is stored on a data drive, not on the USB thumb drive. Then there will be very little use of the thumbdrive and OMV will mostly be cached in RAM. If you go for a MX500 then you can expand the root filesystem and use the SSD for metadata and docker and most likely no need to move anything to the data drive. Just be careful that you have a good backup system for the root fs and the software /metadata you store there. Use btrfs snapshots and COW?

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Thank you for your reply, Adoby.

I chose the J5005 because I saw a few recommendations in german forums. So far I have not seen any complains about linux not working correctly with it.

The reason for me choosing a SSD as the shared data storage is mainly for power saving reasons, not speed. I do not expect to use the NAS that often and don't want to wait for drives spinning up, when I want to use it. But probably I will stick with two HDDs.

Choosing the MX500 instead of BX500 sounds like a good idea though.

What about the amount of RAM? Will it suite my needs?

Has anybody experience with these picoPSUs? Are they appropriate for a NAS?

• I'm using roughly the same on my new OMV build! I must say yours sounds awesome.;-)

My set will be:

Asrock J5005
    Fractal Design Node 304
    8gb (2x 4gb Crucial 2400 ddr4)
    120gb SSD for Debian install (with OMV on top).
    Lots of different size NAS drives, 3.5" HDDs.
    pcie SATA 4 port extension card (since the case will take 6 hdds)
    Be quiet 400W ATX PSU.

I was looking at the Pico but my case takes the ATX PSU so I thought why not. And its cheaper and has plenty of headroom. Think the Pico is a good idea if the case you are looking at doesn't have room!

Good luck with your build. :)

Cheers.

Will

OMV 6. ASRock J5005-ITX, Crucial 8GB Kit (4 GB x 2) (DDR4, 2400 MT/s). Fractal Design Node 304. Crucial BX500 128 GB system drive. 4 X WD Red 6 TB. 2 X 8 TB external Western Digital Elements USB.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von willsy555 ()

• Just to complete this, my now running setup it the following:

Fractal Design Node 304
    Asrock J4105-ITX
    8GB Ram DDR4
    120 gb ssd for omv (Sandisk something...)
    2 tb ssd for files (Samsung 860 qvo)
    4 tb hdd for backups (WD red)
    70W pico psu with a notebook psu

Up to now everything works flawless :)

• Found this thread because I was searching for the Asrock Rack board, read the thread and want to leave a comment.

If this HDD for backups should take backups of the SSD, I would say that is a big design issue. As far as what I learned about backups, it is important that they are physically detached from the source. Because if your system and not only your SSD dies, chances are high that also your backup is dead. Just a comment.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!