Where are my NextCloud Files?

• I followed this tutorial to install NextCloud on OMV on my Odroid HC2, but I don't know where my files are located. At 9:41 in the video, I chose the shared folder I created called "PHS" to store the data. NextCloud is all set up, and I have the default files and folders "Documents," "Photos," "Nextcloud.mp4," etc within the web app. PHS is already accessible through my Windows 10 machine, and when I open it, it doesn't show any of my NextCloud data. Where is it?

I enabled Samba and can access my shared files in Windows. I want to be able to access my shared files on Windows without installing the NextCloud software and syncing (I don't want to sync; I just want access and to create SymLinks).

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you followed that tutorial to the letter, you made 3 folders...

/AppData/nextcloud (for nextcloud configuration)
    /AppData/nextclouddb (for the maria db)

and then a NextCloud folder (wherever you happened to put it). If you look in your NextCloud container, it's going to be the folder you mapped to /data

Note:: You'll have to be root to browse this folder, as the idea is not to use this directory locally, but via the NextCloud web interface.

Example:

• I had to resort to deleting the Nexcloud containers and starting all over. I think I know what went wrong. I hit "enter" as I put in an admin and password for first log in to NextCloud, when I was supposed to click on MySQL/MariaDB and enter my other info that I created. It hung for a long time, and I realized I did it wrong and refreshed and did it again. But what I didn't know is that because I did that, by default, under "Data Folder," it says "/data" which is exactly what I noticed when I went to modify the container. So to be safe this time, I actually changed the Data Folder to /sharedfolders/PHS upon first login to NextCloud.

I actually lost access via Windows when I did this. At first, I followed these instructions to change the permissions in the smb.conf file. That didn't work. So I poked around more and went to Shared Folders > PHS > ACL and under "Extra Options," changed Owner and Group to www-data. That seemed to solve the issue and now I can both access my files on Windows and the web app for NextCloud. The issue now is that if I make a change on Nextcloud, it shows up in Windows. But if I make a change in Windows, Nextcloud web app won't show it (ignores it). It's like it's syncing one-way. I think I'll open a new thread for this as I can't seem to find answers on Google.

• I faced a similar problem since I also wanted to have access to my nextcloud files via smb.
    The best solution I came up (which is working flawlessly so far) is to integrate my main datafolder not directly into Nextcloud, but connect it as an external storage. This way the permissions are not an issue and Nextcloud is always in sync with changes made via smb.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/ser…ge_configuration_gui.html

You have to create a shared folder and share it via smb. In Nextcloud you to App -> deactivated Apps and there activate the External storage support-App.
    Then go to settings. Under administrative settings you can allow users to mount external storage. Then with your regular user account you go to settings -> External storage.
    Choose a displayed folder name and SMB / CIFS. Authentification Username and Password. Host is the IP-Adress of your OMV-Machine. Share is the name of the shared folder. Subfolder and Domain can be left blank. Lastly enter a Username and PW of an OMV-User who has R/W Privileges to the shared folder.
    Thats how it worked in my case. If you want to share files from this folders with others you also want to check sharing allowd behind the ...-menu.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I faced a similar problem since I also wanted to have access to my nextcloud files via smb.
    The best solution I came up (which is working flawlessly so far) is to integrate my main datafolder not directly into Nextcloud, but connect it as an external storage. This way the permissions are not an issue and Nextcloud is always in sync with changes made via smb.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/ser…ge_configuration_gui.html

Although I disagree w/ doing it... that makes more sense than fudging with the permissions of the data directory.

• I'm not really sure what there is to disagree with. Not everyone wants the same type of setup. I have run out of room on my laptop HDD again, and decided to instead purchase an Odroid HC2 in order to transfer (not sync) all my important documents, pictures, videos, etc onto there to be accessed (again, not synced) from any device (phone, other laptops in the house, etc). And I want remote access too (which I'm going to set up next). I also want to set up SymLinks. SymLinks are useful for my kids' Minecraft files as well. I have their Minecraft files syncing all across devices with Dropbox, but I've run out of room on there with the free 2GB, lol.

Part of the reason I went to Odroid HC2 and not Synology or something, was being able to customize to do whatever I want with it. It's why I always get Android phones and root them. I love Linux, but honestly, sometimes I'm ready to murder Linux. I feel like Linux users are the Amish of the computer world. :D

• I have run out of room on my laptop HDD again, and decided to instead purchase an Odroid HC2 in order to transfer (not sync) all my important documents, pictures, videos, etc onto there to be accessed (again, not synced) from any device (phone, other laptops in the house, etc).

Be sure to have a backup if your files are all centralized!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!