Sync does not delete / rename files?

• Hi all,

I'm fairly new with OMV and I run two 8 TB disks in parallel, synced via RSync. This means, the one 8 TB HDD is the one, I copy my phone "backups" on and then I manually run the RSync task over OMV web ui or my configured job for RSync runs every Wednesday and Saturday.

For all the files I store on my OMV server, I use some kind of file name pattern. Nevertheless, I forgot to rename all the files before storing them on my OMV disk 1 and then ran the RSync job manually. No problem I thought, renamed all the files on my pc, uploaded them again and ran RSync again. When I now compare the disk size of both 8 TB disks, the copy disk is about 80 GB larger than the one I copy the files onto. ~6.72 TB vs 5.94TB.

Is it possible that Rsync does not respect renamings? For me it would be ok, if it wouldn't respect delets and I had to trigger them manually, so I would be aware, that even wrongly deleted files are still available on my other disk. But renaming should be respected?!
    Or does a renaming from file name "A.jpg" to "2019-08-12_A.jpg" for RSync mean "file with name A.jpg was deleted and a new file with 2019-08-12_A.jpg" was added" and therefore, RSync would delete the A.jpg file and newly add the 2019-08-12_A.jpg file?

Thanks and kind regards,

Felix

• Offizieller Beitrag

From the man page of rsync:

Rsync finds files that need to be transferred using a "quick check" algorithm (by default) that looks for files that have changed in size or inlast-modified time. Any changes in the other preserved attributes (as requested by options) are made on the destination file directly when the quick checkindicates that the file's data does not need to be updated.

A quick check using the stat command shows, that changing a file name does not update the last-midified time (Modify).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!