Problem with RAID 5 or Hard Drive

• Hello everyone, first of all sorry because I'm a sucker and I have a little trouble speaking English.

I'm contacting you today because I just lost my raid 5, and I would like to recover my data (hoping that this is possible because I want my data)

I follow the process :

Code
    $ cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md0 : inactive sde[3](S)      
    1953383512 blocks super 1.2       

unused devices: <none>

Code
    $ blkid
    /dev/sda1: UUID="09bd2905-ba6c-4c43-a411-c747cb0fbbc1" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="735c8a35-01"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="84bd6ebb-6353-4c0a-aeea-474b53d39f87" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="735c8a35-05"
    /dev/sde: UUID="07da8bcf-ca03-6b5c-a095-4d0de3eaeec5" UUID_SUB="b340e1a3-89d8-bcd4-d29d-4fa94d0744c1" LABEL="NasKaz:0" TYPE="linux_raid_member"

Code
    $ fdisk -l | grep "Disk "
    Disk /dev/sda: 57,3 GiB, 61492838400 bytes, 120103200 sectors
    Disk identifier: 0x735c8a35Disk /dev/sde: 1,8 TiB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors

Code
    $ mdadm --detail --scan --verbose
    INACTIVE-ARRAY /dev/md0 num-devices=1 metadata=1.2 name=NasKaz:0 UUID=07da8bcf:ca036b5c:a0954d0d:e3eaeec5
      devices=/dev/sde

My configuration :
    I Have 5 hard drives :1 for the system (54 Gb), and 4 for the RAID and the capacity for each hard drive it's 1,82 Tb
    I have configurate in RAID 5 with ext4 file system.

For more informations :

The last update with apt-get and the control panel webUI : 5 August 2019
    Version OMV : 4.1.14-1

Since the control panel webUI :

In Storage menu :
    When i go to DISKS i have :

a) /dev/sdb : 3,86 Gb (bad size)
    b) /dev/sbc : 3,86 Gb (bad size)
    c) /dev/sdd : 3,86 Gb (bad size)
    d) /devsde : 1,82 Tb (good size)

When i go to S.M.A.R.T and DEVICES i have :

a) /dev/sdb : 3,86, Gb with température n/a and status Unknown
    b) /dev/sbc : 3,86 Gb with température n/a and status Unknown
    c) /dev/sdd : 3,86 Gb with température n/a and status Unknown
    d) /devsde : 1,82 Tb with température 31°C and status Green

When i go to RAID Management i have :
    nothing (before i have my raid (name : RAIDKAZ)
    option recover is not possible, i just can clic on create, and i see only 3 disks (sdb, sdc, and sdd, because there have the same capacity 3,86 Gb and not 1,82 Tb)

When i go to FILE SYSTEMS i have :
    Device : /dev/disk/by-label/RaidKaz in ext4

For me i just turn off the computer and un turn on 4 months after... i don't understand :(
    But after each reboot i loose a new hard drive, so i'm affraid to reboot...

If you have a solution or idea, you would save my life, because I really care about my data.

Thanking you in advance for the help you can give me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

hoping that this is possible because I want my data

That's what a backup is for!

A Raid 5 allows for one drive failure, but according to your output 3 either have some sort of error or 3 have become corrupt, is it recoverable, probably not.

First off I would check the bios but for that you would need a reboot, but at least it would tell you if the machine locates each drive and it's size.

Second run wipefs -n /dev/sdb then try fsck /dev/sdb you could also check /cat /etc/fstab and attach your config.xml from /etc/openmediavault there maybe something in there.

• Thanks a lot for your help, i will try immediately what you told me.

I thought, wrongly, that by doing a raid 5, I would be safe from this kind of problem, and that losing multiple hard drives at once was not possible.

However a colleague told me that to avoid this kind of problem, you should never buy records in the same series.

I still hope that the Bios give me the right information on my hard drives, otherwise I would have lost 10 years of storage, and more than 3000 files.

So I should do for next time, a backup of my NAS on an external hard drive if I understood correctly ?
    The problem is that I did not have the budget at the time to buy 4 hard drives of 2 Tb + an external hard drive of 8 Tb.
    On my new NAS, I did not do RAID, since it is just for mental masturbation ... So if I lose 1 disk, or 2, I will have the data of other disks ;)
    Regarding the backup, I do not think either have the buget for an external hard drive of 16 Tb ...

thanks again

• Offizieller Beitrag

and that losing multiple hard drives at once was not possible.

BTDTGTTS :)

However a colleague told me that to avoid this kind of problem, you should never buy records in the same series.

Would disagree on that.

So I should do for next time, a backup of my NAS on an external hard drive if I understood correctly ?

Depends on the size of your case, I have a HP Microserver with 6 drives, 4 x MergerFS + Snapraid, 1 x Rsync (largest drive in case) backs up what I don't want to lose and 1 x 2.5 drive for docker configs. So a backup does not have to be external.

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTDTGTTS :)

Would disagree on that.

Depends on the size of your case, I have a HP Microserver with 6 drives, 4 x MergerFS + Snapraid, 1 x Rsync (largest drive in case) backs up what I don't want to lose and 1 x 2.5 drive for docker configs. So a backup does not have to be external.

Unfortunately we've all learned this lesson.

I also keep an internal backup w/ rsync, but also sync to an off site back up as well.

• thank you very much for these good tips.

But if in your configuration, you lose 2 or 3 discs like that seems to be the case for me, you will lose all your data ?

The ideal would be that I could have 16TB of data saved on another hard drive, but I did not find a lot of disk with this capacity, except the Seagate IronWolf 16TB (price 715 €) Which is too much dear to me.

In my case I can put 6 disks - 1 for the operating system, so 5 disks in total.But is there a raid that could with 5 disks guarantee that in case of loss of 2 or 3 disks I can recover everything?

• But is there a raid that could with 5 disks guarantee that in case of loss of 2 or 3 disks I can recover everything?

I don't think so.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But is there a raid that could with 5 disks guarantee that in case of loss of 2 or 3 disks I can recover everything?

Backup to the cloud.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

No Thank, the cloud is evil

There are tools like Duplicati that do encryption on the client and save encrypted data in the cloud.

I have a connection dating from the Middle Ages, with an upload to 0.65 Mb, so I let you calculate for upper 16 Tb;)

Ok, that is an issue ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately, the bold part shows you've still not learned anything. No RAID level is a guarantee of anything, IT IS NOT A BACKUP. You need to stop thinking about some version of RAID that would have magically protected you from this... There are no 5 drive RAID levels that I'm aware of, that could recover from 3 corrupted drives/failures... I understand the price of the 16tb drive is expensive, but you basically just said your data was worth less than 715€... only you can decide if you made the right decision.

Whether you recover from this or not... you really need to figure out some sort of backup scenario, but that's another thread.

I wish you the best of luck... wish I could be more help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No Thank, the cloud is evil lol

So is not backing up 16tb of data the right way :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

But if in your configuration, you lose 2 or 3 discs like that seems to be the case for me, you will lose all your data ?

No because I have a backup using Rsync, and why do need 16Tb of space for backup your Raid 5 only creates 6Tb of usable drive space, and if like me I only back up what I don't want to lose.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!