OMV 4.x won't install on Buster

• So I attempted to install OMV 5.x on top a fresh install of Buster with KDE, but I think getting grumpy with Salt. So, I booted up a Debian 10 Netinstall this morning, freshly downloaded and burned onto USB, installed via graphical install, reformatted the entire HDD and reinstalled Debian with btrfs file system, also installed KDE because I like to have a GUI. Installed per instructions for Stretch, then got this error:

Bash
    Err:4 https://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis InRelease
      The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: GPG error: https://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7E7A6C592EF35D13 NO_PUBKEY 24863F0C716B980B
    E: The repository 'https://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis InRelease' is not signed.
    N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
    N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Then this:

Bash
    apt-get --allow-unauthenticated install openmediavault-keyring
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package openmediavault-keyring

Then I tried some pointers I found in this thread, to no avail:

...and then after and apt-update:

Am I stuck using Stretch or wait until OMV 5.x comes out stable?

• Offizieller Beitrag

install OMV 5.x on top a fresh install of Buster with KDE

Here is your first problem. We highly recommend not installing with a desktop environment.

reformatted the entire HDD and reinstalled Debian with btrfs file system,

Here is the second problem that should be fixed by 5.0.5.

Third problem is trying to install OMV 4 on Debian 10. OMV 4 requires packages that aren't in Debian 10. So, don't waste your time on this.

Am I stuck using Stretch or wait until OMV 5.x comes out stable?

I'm guessing the only reason you want something newer than stretch is because you want a newer desktop environment??

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the follow up. You just answered my questions. :) I'm still new to linux, so I didn't know how important keeping current was for security.

Additionally, I prefer a DE, as I am a visual person, so I don't like command line all the time, nor am I a fan of having to memorize commands. This also allows me to get comfortable with Linux, while still developing a home media server. ...I'm really excited about KDE & GNOME partnering up, as learning Linux is a chore, to be honest.

I'll install stretch &/or wait for OMV 5.

Thanks for all the hard work you, @votdev and all the other folks do for OMV! People like @TechnoDadLife really get folks like me interested in OMV, Linux, etc. For me, OMV is an on-ramp into Linux. :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

so I didn't know how important keeping current was for security.

Until Debian 9 and OMV 4.x are EOL'd, they keep getting security patches.

Additionally, I prefer a DE, as I am a visual person, so I don't like command line all the time, nor am I a fan of having to memorize commands.

The whole idea of OMV is to very rarely use the command line and use its web interface. What are you doing on the system that you need a desktop environment?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Doubling it up as an HTPC with Kodi, as I have yet to find a linux-based Miracast receiver solution. ...Most projects have stalled or are a intended for embedded Linux for commercial use. It was either Amazon Prime or Netflix (I think Netflix) that I couldn't stream from my Raspberry Pi. Ideally I want to run a server and have my Raspberry Pi 3B+ function as my "SMART TV," but that hasn't panned out. I don't understand how cheap Chromecast or knock-off chinese versions can support screen sharing via miracast, but there is no default linux option for this. :/ So, that's why. That and I have toyed with switching from Windows to linux entirely.

• Why? The only two conflicts I would see is changing a setting in the DE that OMV doesn't see or too many resources being uses. Also, why can't OMV see changes made via UI & update accordingly? Is that too difficult to implement?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why? The only two conflicts I would see is changing a setting in the DE that OMV doesn't see or too many resources being uses.

Believe it or not, desktop environments cause problems with OMV because there are plenty of GUI apps that conflict with OMV's setup.

Also, why can't OMV see changes made via UI & update accordingly? Is that too difficult to implement?

OMV is meant to be a headless NAS. It isn't monitoring config files for changes all the time. So, yes, this would be extremely difficult to implement.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!