Problems after upgrading to PHP7.3

• I've upgraded to PHP7.3 and run into trouble with OMV.

I can get the login page displayed, but after entering my credentials I get an error:

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:140
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(56): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #6 {main}

Running from the command line interface omv-engined -dI get:

My php -modules are:

I wanted to upgrade PHP to enable me to use the latest updates to NextCloud. I previously had NextCloud running (without using Docker) and was happy with the setup. NextCloud started nagging about an upgrade, and that upgrade is not available with PHP7.0. The webserver is nginx. I think I've got that working okay because I can, at least, see the OMV login page.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

• I had set up OMV and installed NextCloud using a guide on this forum: NextCloud Instalation. It did not employ Docker.

I don't want to revert to PHP7.0 because it means I cannot use the latest version of NextCloud.

I'd like to understand why OMV is having this problem, and how to resolve it. I'm sure there are plenty of others who may have followed the same guide linked above, and are now in a similar situation. We follow the guide to installing NextCloud as is published in this forum, and then we can't update NextCloud because the latest version relies on PHP7.2+, and we can't update PHP because it breaks OMV. Stating that Docker exists to avoid this problem is great advice, and it would have been great if it was included in the original guide. But it wasn't. And it worked. So it's not very helpful so say we ought to have used Docker in the first place.

Can we have OMV use PHP7.0 and NextClous use PHP7.3? Any suggestions as to how to achieve that?

Or, better still, can we get OMV to work with newer versions of PHP? Surely that would be the ideal outcome. What is it about OMV that means that it is "tight" to whatever version of PHP that Debian ships with?

• You are missing the entire point of using docker.

The most recent version of Nextcloud is 16.0.3 as is the most recent version in the Linuxserver.io Nextcloud docker. Whatever version of PHP it requires is provided within the docker image. There is no need to upgrade PHP on OMV.

In other words, all the required dependencies (and specific versions of those dependencies) needed to run a program are provided within the docker image itself.

It Just Works™

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I am not missing the point of Docker. I get it. But Docker was not a part of the guide that I followed. As I said, it would have been great if the Docker advice had been included in that guide. But it was not. And now I have NextCloud installed without Docker. Saying that I ought to have used Docker is not helpful at this point.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No one at this point is gonna come with a patch of omv backend to work with both php versions assuming that’s the way to correct it. V5 is to be released very soon, v4 is gonna get archived 6 months after v5 release.
    The guide maybe at the time of published required only default php. Core dependencies are not to be touched. I’ll update or hide that thread guide. in the present days of docker and lxc is pointless the effort to install nextcloud that way.

Reading the guide it says for omv2 , way old.

• Any particular guide can not and will not provide every possible method to achieve the same goal. Or I could have just said you followed an obsolete guide.

Saying you should use docker for this is helpful, but only if you want to run the latest version of Nextcloud. Do you or don't you? Make a decision and get on with it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• After I installed OMV, I came to this forum, searched for "install nextcloud" and I followed the guide that resulted. How was I supposed to know it was the "wrong guide"? (See the note below about that wording.) If it's so wrong, why not remove it? Saying that I should use Docker is helpful if I were to start over again, but it's not an answer to my question and it's no help to me, or anyone who followed the guide I've linked to. It seems you're being really unhelpful and rude to someone who has simply followed a guide that is a part of this forum. I appreciate that you many not have written or endorsed that guide, but I don't think such an obstinate response is warranted.

So... the question remains... can anything be done to get OMV to work with PHP7.3? Or is there a way to have OMV use PHP7.0 while also having NextCloud use PHP7.3? If the answer is no, just say so. If you don't know, just say so. Preferably politely.

Edit: The post above appears to have been edited to change "you followed the wrong guide" to "you followed an obsolete guide".

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Kritta () aus folgendem Grund: Clarifying my post after a preceding post was edited.

• Offizieller Beitrag

can anything be done to get OMV to work with PHP7.3? Or is there a way to have OMV use PHP7.0 while also having NextCloud use PHP7.3?

OMV 4.x will never work with php7.3. OMV 5.x does work with php7.3 but not 7.0. That said, both versions of php can be installed on the system at the same time but unless you are very good with certain repos and pinning, one of the versions will not get patched = bad.

As mentioned in previous posts, docker allows you to satisfy the requirements without compromising the host system. You search yielded the old guide (which we shouldn't delete) but the pinned threads in the Guides forum will point you to the docker tutorial. nextcloud is definltey something that should be run in docker in my opinion.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!