4.1.22 installation problems

• Hi All,

First post here.

I am thinking of moving from FreeNas, and OMV with SnapRaid and MergerFS looks like a decent replacement.

So I took one of my spare boxes to test it.

I burned a CDrom and with 4.1.22 image have experienced a few issues.
    1. File system creation is failing at various points with formatting and mounting, but ctrl-f2 and CLI worked with that, to pass that point
    2. When it starts updating the packages at 85% it gets stuck and stays like that for hours until I turn the box off

Attempt 2:
    OMV 5.0.1 Beta - Kernel Panic, Live option gets stuck on cyan square
    1. file "install/gtk/vmlinuz" not found, you need to load the kernel first
    2. Advanced options install in text mode - Kernel panic - not syncing; attempted to kill the idle task !

Attempt 3:
    Downloaded 4.1.3
    1. Installed with not much issues, legacy mode
    2. Start, got all the updates, reboot, Kernel Panic as with 5.0.1
    3. Rebooted, used Kernel 4.14 BPO - works

Downloaded Debian Buster, both with kernel panic, downloaded latest Mint 19.2 Cinnamon, no issues with live

The systems machines that I am using to test are:
    HP Pro 6305 - AMD A8-5500B, from 12Gb to 32Gb RAM, OCZ SSD 120GB

So, as it seems, there is an issue with Linux Kernel 4.19 BPO. Downloading Debian Stretch 9.90 to test now...

Any ideas what has been done in Linux Kernel 4.19 BPO ?

Many Thanks

• i know its not going to help you, but i am running 4.1.23 without any kernel panic

kernel : 4.19.0-0.bpo.5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.37-4~bpo9+1 (2019-06-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

are you sure this box is healthy hw wise?

Br
    Patric

• Those boxes are running FreeNAS quite happily alongside HP Microservers N40Ls, just keep a couple for testing and spare parts if required.

I also installed Win10 on one of them just to make sure that it runs and prove the point run a few games, and has no issues.

4.1.22 gets stuck on "85% Updating the list of available packages".

On 4.1.3 I have option to choose the repository for package downloads unlike 4.1.22.

Quite weird really. Stretch Live has 4.9 kernel and that doesn't start either as it also complains with AMD graphics card, but at least passes the boot point

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have seen a few systems that don't like the 4.19 kernel. The problem is that the default Buster (OMV 5.x) kernel is the same. omv-extras has the option to install the proxmox (ubuntu) kernel that you might have better luck with if you can get an install working. You would have better luck on an N40L versus the SFF desktop you are testing on though.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks @ryecoaaron

I was a bit lazy to pull another N40L from the basement, boxed somewhere since house move. Bear in mind it's also an AMD CPU based, and a bit on the slowish side.
    HP 6305 Microtower/SFF work quite fine with FreeNAS

I'll try to grab N40L this evening and see how far do I get with the install, starting with 4.1.22

I have noticed Proxmox kernel, it is based on 4.15, but I just didn't bother installing, as I was looking into SnapRAID and UnifiedFS/MergerFS plugins, but I'll try that first thing before moving onto N40L this evening.

Apart from virtualisation stuff, is there any other benefit of Proxmox kernel ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was a bit lazy to pull another N40L from the basement, boxed somewhere since house move. Bear in mind it's also an AMD CPU based, and a bit on the slowish side.
    HP 6305 Microtower/SFF work quite fine with FreeNAS

I've owned a few N40Ls. They work very well with OMV. As for the SFF, all it takes is one module in the kernel (guessing video related) to cause problems. FreeBSD's video support is farther behind Linux and it is probably defaulting to a generic driver that just works. You could probably play the game of disabling video drivers/framebuffer and get the 4.19 kernel working but not really worth the effort if you aren't going to use that system long term.

I have noticed Proxmox kernel, it is based on 4.15, but I just didn't bother installing, as I was looking into SnapRAID and UnifiedFS/MergerFS plugins, but I'll try that first thing before moving onto N40L this evening.

It is 4.15 but Canonical backports newer changes to this kernel. So, the version isn't as important. The kernel version won't affect SnapRAID and MergerFS at all. Neither one uses kernel modules (mergerfs even uses its own version of fuse).

Apart from virtualisation stuff, is there any other benefit of Proxmox kernel ?

The proxmox kernel is the Ubuntu 18 LTS kernel. I personally think it is better supported than the backports 4.19 kernel and more stable (well tested in Ubuntu, Mint, Proxmox, etc). Even though it is used by Proxmox, it shouldn't really have any virtualization advantages but if you use zfs, it is definitely nicer (no compiling zfs module since it is built in). I use it on my most of my OMV systems.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Proxmox 4.15 has the same kernel panic issue

I have pulled out Quadra Nvs310 and disabled IGS and still the same issue. Don't think it's graphic related, so pissing off really.

Now to dig out N40L and some ecc memory...

• Finally made a huge progress.

N40L no issues whatsoever, as expected.

Pulled Nvs310 out, less clutter.

With 6305s, I have reset the CMOS and BIOS (even removed the battery) to default options and then tried 4.1.22 media and worked first time. It could have been that since latest firmware upgrade, something had been left uncleared and dirty in the CMOS. Both 6305 machines worked fine with Windows/FreeNAS with such BIOS. Mint and Fedora now work a treat as well now, but Debian threw a fit on graphics card issues. :thumbup:

Both kernels versions are now working as expected, but I've left it running on Proxmox.

Next is to get another elcheapo 120GB 2.5" SSD (current one is on it's last legs according to SMART) for boot and start playing with drives and file systems....and document setup...

Thanks for all the help here.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!