[Energy Savings] sheduled ON/OFF

• OMV 4.x
    • [Energy Savings] sheduled ON/OFF

Hello OMV community,

I'm sorry, I'm a long time user of Openmediavault and never took the time to register before now.

I own a little repair shop in france.
      I use OMV for years and really love it.
      I also tried others NAS alternatives including commercial ones (Synology) and open-source ones.
      For exemple I find OMV superior to freeNAS because FreeNAS is too complex, ZFS is overkill and needs too much RAM, and also OMV is simple and reliable (a FreeNAS appliance doesn't support a unexepected loss of power.. OMV is much more resilient to it)
      I have built a dozen of OMV appliances for both friends, personal use, relatives and even customers.
      I mainly build them based on :
      • taiwanese CFI A7879 ITX cases (and now A7979) with 4x hot swapable bays
      • ITX boards
      • tiny 16 GB SSD for hosting OMV os (i recently bought a lot of intel Optane 16GB NVMe ssds for a very low price which are perfect for hosting OMV)

Those setups are quite good performer, are cheap and reliable and don't consume a lot of power (between 15W idle to 40W at full charge)
      I promise I'll present my setup in the appropriate section of the forum :)

After years of experience, I would like to share some settings that I found important for a home or small office use of OMV.

The aim is to get a longer life of hard disks, save power, and get a better life expectancy of the whole hardware.

1 advanced power management of disks

I prefer to set each disk "advanced power management mode" to 127 (intermediate power management with standby), and I would love this setting would be on by default.
      In a home or small office setting, I see absolutely no reason why a disk would rotate all day or night even if nobody will access it for hours...

I may be wrong but to me, all disks inserted in a OMV setup should have their advanced power management mode set to 127..

2 scheduled on and off

There is no way to simply set a scheduled daily power on and off with OMV.
      Of course yes, as of today you can go on the "power management" settings panel and add a scheduled power off.
      But how to set a scheduled power on ? I can't pretend asking for people (friends / family) or small business customers to plug a display / keyboard, and set the "wake from S5" setting in the bios...

This is something that has made me prefer Synology appliances only because the setting was simple, and I was sure no energy would be wasted and the whole system and disk would have a best life expectancy over years...

I have long thought about it and here is the setting I use.
      Here is an example for an office use of an OMV appliance (sheduled power on each day at 8:00, sheduled power off at 18:00)

As for the sheduled power off, this is straightforward :
      • go to the "power management" panel of OMV then on the "sheduled jobs" tab
      • add a scheduled job of type "shutdown", at exactly 18:00, every day (*)

As for the sheduled power on

this is a little bit complicated.
      I found interesting infos here :
      ragsagar.wordpress.com/2011/08…-rtc-alarm-in-arch-linux/

I want the NAS to shut down at 18:00 and power on 14 hours later each at 8:00 week day.
      On friday at 18:00 I want the NAS to shut down and power on 62 hours later at 8:00 on the monday.

Here is how I do it :
      • on the first 4 "week day", 4 sheduled job sends each hour the rtcalarm a command to wake up 14 hours later.
      • on friday, 1 sheduled job is set to send the rtcalarm a command to wake up 62 hours later.

The command is :

Source Code

1. echo 0 > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm & echo `date '+%s' -d '+ 840 minutes'` > /sys/class/rtc/rtc0/wakealarm

The five sheduled jobs are as follow :

Please tell me if you find those settings useful.
      Don't you think wether those settings may be on "by default" ? Should I make a feature request ?
    • @gilles_aurejac wrote:

all disks inserted in a OMV setup should have their advanced power management mode set to 127..
      Could you please explain your reasoning for these three settings in Physical disk properties? I have always wondered what settings to pick and why. Thanks.
      Retired. I love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.23-1 on a pair of Odroid hc2's w/ 4TB WD Blue. Running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - and a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-hole.
      Testing OMV 5.0.5 5.0.6 5.0.10-1 beta on an Odroid H2, HP dx2400, and Nanopi M4.
    • gilles_aurejac wrote:

1 advanced power management of disks

I prefer to set each disk "advanced power management mode" to 127 (intermediate power management with standby), and I would love this setting would be on by default.
      In a home or small office setting, I see absolutely no reason why a disk would rotate all day or night even if nobody will access it for hours...

I may be wrong but to me, all disks inserted in a OMV setup should have their advanced power management mode set to 127..
      Anybody else have experience/insight/opinion on this? I have always just used the first minimal settings found in @TechnoDadLife videos on omv setup at the 8 minute mark. Here is a pic of those settings under Disks tab:

Anybody chime in. I would love to see the range of replies with reasoning.
      Retired. I love to garden and mess with computers. The more I mess with both the less I know about either.
      OMV 4.1.23-1 on a pair of Odroid hc2's w/ 4TB WD Blue. Running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - and a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-hole.
      Testing OMV 5.0.5 5.0.6 5.0.10-1 beta on an Odroid H2, HP dx2400, and Nanopi M4.
    • Low values mean more aggressive power management and higher values mean better performance. Values from 1 to 127 permit spin-down, whereas values from 128 to 254 do not.

I tried to avoid more aggressive power management to reduce the mechanical stress for the drive. So if I wanted to have spin-down I selected 127.

However, I still had issues with hdparm as load-cylce-count increased dramatically and the drive would have reached the specified value within few months. I switched to hd-idle and since then load cycle count did not increase significantly.

Of course it does not matter on the HC2 as the USB-to-SATA-controller is managing spin-down.
      Odroid HC2 - armbian - OMV4.x | Asrock Q1900DC-ITX - Intenso SSD 120GB - OMV4.x
      :!: Backup - Solutions to common problems - OMV setup videos - OMV4 Documentation - user guide :!:
    • @macom wrote:

Of course it does not matter on the HC2 as the USB-to-SATA-controller is managing spin-down.
      I remember reading something about that, I think from @tkaiser. You should just to leave the settings on Disable.

@macom wrote:

I switched to hd-idle and since then load cycle count did not increase significantly.
      okay, Great.
    • Users Online 2

2 Guests