Clone Micro SD card fails

• OMV 4.x
    • Update

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Clone Micro SD card fails

New

Hi guys,

i have an odroid HC1 and am pretty happy with that guy. I just bought a faster micro sd card since i used an pretty slow old one before. The clone process is really not working out for me somehow. I used dd on mac to clone (work great) and win32diskimager in windows which failed due to not recognizing the sd card. Writing the image to the new card went through without any error output. Some how the sd card just does not want to bott in my Odoid. I also have backup files avaiable from the backup plugin in OMV. Also tried to write them with Etcher but dont understand why there are 2 images (boot and system i guess). Ether returns an error trying to write the system img because of the missing boot files.

Has anyone an idea what i am doing wrong? I would be greatful for any help and assisstance you can give me. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
      Tom
    • New

I can say for sure its not a bad card. Even flashed the fresh image of omv and it worked right away. Now trying on Mac:

Source Code

1. /dev/disk4 (external, physical):
      2. #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
      3. 0: FDisk_partition_scheme *31.9 GB disk4
      4. 1: Linux 67.1 MB disk4s1
      5. 2: Linux 31.8 GB disk4s2

then I do the following:

Source Code

1. sudo dd if=/dev/disk4 of=HC1.img bs=512 count=10000
      2. 10000+0 records in
      3. 10000+0 records out
      4. 5120000 bytes transferred in 0.851668 secs (6011731 bytes/sec)

Source Code

1. sudo dd if=/dev/disk4 of=HC1.img bs=512
      2. dd: /dev/disk4: Device not configured
      3. 49144+0 records in
      4. 49144+0 records out
      5. 25161728 bytes transferred in 6.686856 secs (3762864 bytes/sec)

That is weird the image is just a few mb big... I was able to backup before. Those above seem to be errors.
    • New

The first dd is OK. But it only reads the very start of the SD card. The low level nitty-gritty binary stuff like MBR, partition table and so on. Then you ALSO need to read the /boot and the / partition as well, as I do in my script using partclone. Those lines are not optional.

The second dd is just wrong. I assume that you meant it to be a write to the SD card? But it isn't. It is another read, only with bad parameters. You need to swap the input and the output and so on. And write /boot and / from stored images as well.

It might be possible to do it all using one very big dd, to include the start, /boot and root fs. I use partclone because it is smart enough to only clone used parts of a partition. In comparison dd is braindead and reads everything, including unused space.
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 5 x 12TB, 1 x 8TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 2TB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • New

Source Code

1. dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=./images/MBR.img bs=512 count=10000
      2. partclone.ext4 -c -s /dev/mmcblk0p1 -o ./images/mmcblk0p1.pcl
      3. partclone.btrfs -c -s /dev/mmcblk0p2 -o ./images/mmcblk0p2.pcl
      Okay so when my micro sd card is disk4 as listed above the second and third command should be the following right? On Mac partclone is missing... figuring out right now...

Source Code

1. dd if=/dev/disk4 of=./images/MBR.img bs=512 count=10000
      2. partclone.ext4 -c -s /dev/disk4s1 -o ./images/mmcblk0p1.pcl
      3. partclone.btrfs -c -s /dev/disk4s2 -o ./images/mmcblk0p2.pcl
    • New

Okay that doesn’t work at all. Maybe the old Microsd card is now dead. At least I can’t read a whole image from that due to unknown reasons. And i can’t boot back into omv when trying. Luckily I have backups available. Is there a way to use the dd images from the backup plugin and write them onto the fresh sd card. Best would be if possible in Windows...

Im greatful for any help on this.