Quirky config with Snapraid - possible or avoid?

• Hi everyone,

I hit an issue with OMV which stopped me from using it for a couple of years. I spent the last few days getting it up and running. Advice would be appreciated.

Background:

I have installed OMV on reused PC parts, one of which includes an old DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI motherboard. The NF4 chipset has caused a number of issues. For instance, I have found it necessary to partition those hard drives on the NF4 Sata controller to have a small NTFS partition (100MB) in order to boot. I don't know why, but have accepted it.

So, on 4 NF4 SATA ports, I have 4 data drives with a small NTFS partition and large EXT4 partition. I also have 4 additional drives (1 OS, 3 Data) on a different SATA controller which are non-partitioned, EXT4.

The challenge:

When using Snapraid - is it possible to ignore partitions on a drive? In essence, I have a total of 6 data drives (3 of which have 2 partitions - 1 small NTFS, 1 Large EXT4), 1 parity drive (which also has 1 small NTFS partition, 1 large EXT4), 1 OS drive.

I would like to recover from failure of the 3 EXT4 partitions on 3 data drives (I don't care about the NTFS partitions) and 3 EXT4 data drives (so total of 6) from my EXT4 partition on my parity drive (because this drive is also headed with the NTFS partition).

Are there factors that I need to consider when using Snapraid? Is it possible to achieve redundancy using only one Parity drive?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

RS

Sidenote: I know that I should just replace my motherboard ||

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von RS1 ()

• Does a partition 'qualify as a disk' in Snapraid?

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does a partition 'qualify as a disk' in Snapraid?

Yes. While everything is called a disk in snapraid, it is actually using filesystems.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes. While everything is called a disk in snapraid, it is actually using filesystems.

Thanks for this. So if I'm understanding this correctly, according to 'snapraid's' definition - I have 12 drives. Right?

NF4 Sata: 4 EXT4 + 4 NTFS = 8
    Sil3114 Sata: 4 EXT4 = 4
    Total = 12

So if Snapraid see's each partition as a disk - I can then in theory configure snapraid to ignore the 4 NTFS disks that share the same 'drive' as the EXT4 disks on the NF4 Sata?

Sorry about making this sound like an academic exercise. I'm just trying to make sure that my understanding is correct before engaging my OCD to have everything work.

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for this. So if I'm understanding this correctly, according to 'snapraid's' definition - I have 12 drives. Right?

NF4 Sata: 4 EXT4 + 4 NTFS = 8
    Sil3114 Sata: 4 EXT4 = 4
    Total = 12

So if Snapraid see's each partition as a disk - I can then in theory configure snapraid to ignore the 4 NTFS disks that share the same 'drive' as the EXT4 disks on the NF4 Sata?

Snapraid only "sees" the drives you tell it about in the Drives tab. If you don't add them there, it will never touch or read the other drives. If you have two partitions on a disk and both partitions are mounted with the OMV web interface, they will both show up as a "Drive" in the Add Drive dialog in the Drives tab. If you add partition 1 and not partition 2 from drive 1, snapraid will never access partition 2. When I created the plugin, it was meant to support OMV's method of creating data disks which will never use more than one partition. Hence why I stuck with the "Drive" terminology that snapraid uses.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Thanks @ryecoaaron. Much appreciated. And this is great news!

Final question - do you think that the way I want to use Snapraid (partition from a drive etc.) poses a problem or issue?

• Offizieller Beitrag

do you think that the way I want to use Snapraid (partition from a drive etc.) poses a problem or issue?

Nope. snapraid is creating hashes of files and doesn't care about where the filesystem is located.

• Brilliant. I'm going to give this a whirl! Cheers again

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!