Why would someone want to install NextCloud on OpenMediaVault - Use cases?

• Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me understand what would be the reason or use case where some would want to install NextCloud on OpenMediaVault?

What would be the advantages or benefits of doing this?

Do NextCloud and OpenMediaVault not provide very similar functionality?

This is a genuine questions and I hope I get some sensible replies and learn something new.

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't use it, but, Nextcloud has provisions for setting up shares and sync'ing between devices. PC clients (Windows, Mac, Linux), tablets, phones (apple, andriod), etc.

The same can be done with OMV, but there might be a bit more work in it.

• Nextcloud is a storage cloud application, like Dropbox, google drive, or even like Microsoft's dreaded onedrive. A storage system that you can access anywhere and sync across multiple devices.It also lets you add manage data and give access to other with user management.

I personally use it to keep my data that I need to be secure and my data that I need to be accessible separate.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you're only using it locally, it makes little sense IMO. But set up properly for access from say a mobile device, or outside your network... it's pretty slick. I don't do Facebook, Instagram, etc.. so I keep pics, documents, etc. on there that I may want to show or share with other people.

I find it pretty handy.

• I use nextcloud to sync data between my personal and work machines, not to mention my phone in order to access my data from anywhere,
    From within my local LAN I use OMV to access whatever else I dont need to access remotely. Nextcloud is awesome, forget googled drive and drop box.
    I use to run nextcloud just on itself, but since I got it setup within OMV its even better because I can now have shared folders within my LAN.

• I use nextcloud to share pics, vids, files, etc with friends and family that live all over. I also use it to sync bookmarks from multiple browsers across multiple devices so they all stay in sync. I was recently playing with the RSS aggregator but it's not quite as full featured as I'd like so I'm sticking with tt-rss.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!