Check if vpn is working

• I set up openvpn in docker (haugene transmission-openvpn)using this video:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

How do I check if it's working and also check if it's working with sonarr and radarr?

• Offizieller Beitrag

The easiest way (at least imo)

SSH your server as root
    docker exec -it container_name bash
    You should see the prompt change showing you're bashed into the container

Then run this command...
    curl icanhazip.com

and it will return your IP address..... Then check your IP from your local machine (whatismyip.com). Assuming your local machine is not also behind the VPN, the IP's should not match. If the curl command doesn't work on after you've bashed into the container, you can install it easy enough since it's based on Ubuntu... apt install curl

Example: The white terminal is OMV, the black one is the laptop I'm on. Obviously even smudging out the last few digits, the IP's are clearly different... this tells me my transmission container is behind my VPN

https://imgur.com/M0b5F8y

• http://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php

As magnet to transmission... See what ip address show on page....

Sonarr and radar refer to Jackett for searches....which uses ovpn/transmission docker tunnel interface...

Tried what you guys suggested. It returned two different IPs. Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

Tried what you guys suggested. It returned two different IPs. Thank you

Just a thought on something else you may want to double check...

The video you linked is Sonarr, so I'm assuming you've got the transmission VPN container set up via TDL's instructions as well. Another good idea (if you haven't already) is to test the kill switch explained in that video. From the sounds of it, you probably don't want torrents to continue downloading if you lose access to the VPN... the kill switch will shut the container down if it loses connection to the VPN. To get it connected again, you'll have to restart the container. He goes over it about 10:50 in the video below. When I was personally setting this up, the kill switch didn't work. I'm not sure why, I'm assuming a typo of some sort on my part.. when I entered the variable for this the 2nd time, it worked fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgZ9oZQ7ds

My point is, make sure you set it up correctly. Easiest way... Go to the container environment, and just change your VPN password so that it's incorrect (obviously you won't be able to connect then)... When you save and the container restarts,use the refresh button to watch it's status. You should see it constantly restarting because it cannot access the VPN due to the improper password. Once you've confirmed the kill switch is working.. just go back and set your proper password and restart the container.

• Just a thought on something else you may want to double check...
    The video you linked is Sonarr, so I'm assuming you've got the transmission VPN container set up via TDL's instructions as well. Another good idea (if you haven't already) is to test the kill switch explained in that video. From the sounds of it, you probably don't want torrents to continue downloading if you lose access to the VPN... the kill switch will shut the container down if it loses connection to the VPN. To get it connected again, you'll have to restart the container. He goes over it about 10:50 in the video below. When I was personally setting this up, the kill switch didn't work. I'm not sure why, I'm assuming a typo of some sort on my part.. when I entered the variable for this the 2nd time, it worked fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgZ9oZQ7ds

My point is, make sure you set it up correctly. Easiest way... Go to the container environment, and just change your VPN password so that it's incorrect (obviously you won't be able to connect then)... When you save and the container restarts,use the refresh button to watch it's status. You should see it constantly restarting because it cannot access the VPN due to the improper password. Once you've confirmed the kill switch is working.. just go back and set your proper password and restart the container.

I had a typo too lol. Fixed it, thank you. How do I check if sonarr and radarr are working through the transmission docker? The only thing I've done following the video is adding transmission into the volumes from container section.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had a typo too lol. Fixed it, thank you. How do I check if sonarr and radarr are working through the transmission docker? The only thing I've done following the video is adding transmission into the volumes from container section.

Honestly, I don't use those two... but you can try to bash into them and just do the same thing you did with curl in transmission (I would think they will return the same IP as transmission). If curl isn't installed in those two containers and you can't install it, you can try one off these commands, which should get the public IP also...

wget -qO - icanhazip.com

host myip.opendns.com resolver1.opendns.com

One of those should work (I think host is installed on almost everything)... and kick back the public IP for those two containers.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!