ZFS new user and OMV-Backup

• Might be a silly question, but I am moving from FreeNAS (just tend to get lost in FreeBSD) - but have loved it other than that - when I created the ZFS raid - it created its mount point in /ZFSRaidName - so now when I run the backup to grab my OMV settings to my 126G Sata drive - it fills with the contents of the OS and the raidZ.

Now that I am in this boat, is there a way I have should have done it differently? and more importantly is there a way I can recover without rebuilding the beasty?

Thanks in advance to all who reply!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now that I am in this boat, is there a way I have should have done it differently?

Don't use the rsync option unless you exclude your zfs mount point in the extra options box. fsarchiver wouldn't have caused this.

is there a way I can recover without rebuilding the beasty?

Why would you have to rebuild? Just delete the files it backed up.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Looks like someone is in the same boat as me. I was generally annoyed with RancherOS and Docker support on FreeNAS. Jails were good back in the day. Also, ZFS cast in stone, requires vast amount of RAM, and 20% storage loss per pool (yes, call me a cheapskate).

I have decided not to stay with ZFS and explore SnapRAID/MergerFS with OMV.

My idea was to keep the current FreeNAS until everything moved over onto OMV, probably using rsync and leave for a few days, unless other faster way available.

Other option, get ZFS for OMV and mount the disks on new OMV server and copy files over, a bit risky I would say.

Any other opinions there ?

• Looked at the backup utility again and noticed the exclude (RTM I suppose, having difficulty finding manuals for the extras) - is there any place the these extras are documented more? Everything is working as expected ZFS is seeming fine, gonna start messing with Snapshots and experimenting with failed drives and failed OS disks before moving completely over but am unsure of:

1) How to Restore the backup taken by the Backup utility - don't see a restore?
    2) Drive replacement - will there be steps used by the ZFS extra or just using zfs shell?
    3) Same for managing snapshots etc with ZFS-the web interface seems like just enough to get the raid up, is the rest expected to be done via shell?

Seems the OMV itself is pretty well documented to get up and running, but the extras is kind of an added interface to the command line (or adding simple web interface to the shell utilities/programs) and these are not really documented very much. Unless I am missing something somewhere.

So far seems like just what I was looking for, honestly FreeNAS is just too much for a simple NAS - to easy to break with all the addons, jails, VM's etc... and then ya gotta learn FreeBSD to boot. For this (OMV) so far, certainly need to learn more about Debian which I already use everywhere (forever NooB though) and focus on OS Drive replacement (for failed USB or SSD boot drive) and failed raid drive replacement. Great product so far though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

is there any place the these extras are documented more?

The forum is your best place to look.

How to Restore the backup taken by the Backup utility - don't see a restore?

It can't be done from the web interface for many reasons. See this guide - https://forum.openmediavault.o…?postID=193798#post193798

Drive replacement - will there be steps used by the ZFS extra or just using zfs shell?

shell

Same for managing snapshots etc with ZFS-the web interface seems like just enough to get the raid up, is the rest expected to be done via shell?

There is a snapshot tab but it might not be enough for you. Using the command line is best way. There are few guides on using things like znapzend and other auto snapshot utilities.

but the extras is kind of an added interface to the command line (or adding simple web interface to the shell utilities/programs)

That is pretty much what all of OMV is.

these are not really documented very much. Unless I am missing something somewhere.

While I write/maintain most of the omv-extras plugin, I leave it to others to write more documentation if the plugin isn't self-explanatory because I don't have much time. If you search the forum, there has been a guide written or threads started about most plugins. If you have other questions, just a start a new thread.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 2) Drive replacement - will there be steps used by the ZFS extra or just using zfs shell?
    3) Same for managing snapshots etc with ZFS-the web interface seems like just enough to get the raid up, is the rest expected to be done via shell?

There is a long zfs thread where all these topics are mentioned: [HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

Look at this thread: [HOW-TO]: ZFS - Setup Automated, Self Rotating and Purging snapshots

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!