10Gbe direct connect stopped working or taken over by wireless???

• Hi,

I'm new to OMV(and servers and linux)but I've built a large 72TB Hardware Raid 6 media array that I'm attaching through OMV to a windows machine via SMB and a simple shared folder. I had them direct connected via 10gbe nics with static IP addresses and for about an hour got great throughput. Right at 10gbe from a pcie nvme raid in my windows machine and 300+MB on a raid 0 dual sata drive attached to the windows machine via usbC. This lasted for about an hour...

Soon there after I started an 8TB transfer from the usbC attached drive and it started fine but throughout the transfer it would dip to 0 and hang and then kick back in and slowly work back up to the 300 range. After an hour of the transfer it dropped to about 50MB and now every transfer caps out at around 50MBs... I'm not sure what's going on or how to proceed. Blackmagic disk speed test showed the same speeds when I mapped the drive to the computer as well.

In addition to the 10gbe nics, I have 1gbe internet from a router going into the Server and wireless internet for the windows machine(I'll eventually have a 1gbe switch for both machines to be on the 1gbe internet.

The windows nic shows up as an unidentified network but that didn't stop it from working initially.

I'm wondering if I need to just bite the bullet and find a 10gbe switch... but would prefer not to if it's possible to maintain the direct connection between the two computers and keep the internet connection separate. Is there some way to force the two computers to link via the 10gbe connection even though they have slower connections to the internet itself?

Apologies in advance for my ignorance and anything I've not accurately described or flat out gotten incorrect. I'm woefully under qualified for this build but it's the situation I'm in, any help is much appreciated.

Hardware below:
    Server
    z181-r90 amd epyc
    ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter
    Broadcom 9361 16i raid controller
    12 Seagate x 8TB Ironwolf drives

Windows Machine
    Ryzen 7
    MSI Meg X399
    ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!