Cant add shared folder (Cant select device)

• When I go to make a new file system, and hit the "CREATE" button, then hit the drop down menu for "Devices" nothing comes up and thus I can not make a file system.
    Than i tried attache, format EXT4, fstab new volume vis ssh. Mounted this new device, but still cant add new share via WEB admin.
    I used chrome, firefox. no result.

I dont use RAID.
    Just want to have simple EXT4 volume

• in Storage -> Disks i see 2 disks
    /dev/vda (root 256G)
    /dev/vdb (EXT 4 i added via SSH)

second question how to install OMV with partitioning
    i dont want to give all my space for OVM.

• /dev/sda is a SATA type and has slow perfomance while virtualization

/dev/vda means native virtual IO device with full virtualization for best perfomance.
    i installed my first OMV on ProxMox host to test

• Offizieller Beitrag

i installed my first OMV on ProxMox host to test

Then this is out of my pay grade :) I have experience of MS Hyper-V, your other thread says something about a 256Gb SSD, I assume what you have done is created a virtual drive using that 256 SSD. OMV does not include something like gparted a user would have to use this from a LiveCD.
    So best guess scenario would be to create a 10Gb virtual boot drive on that SSD to install OMV on then create a working partition on the remainder, as I said this is above my pay grade but the above should give you pointers.

• Thanks for howto video.
    I made 3g for OMV and another 250g for backup under virtual machine.
    it works.
    Now i can add shared folder and choose DEVICE.

how to deal with usual 250G snandalone HDD?
    Is it possible to install OMV with partion?

I installed x64 OMV image on my 250g and cant create shared folder because device item is unavailable.
    All space in a roor FS

• Offizieller Beitrag

I installed x64 OMV image on my 250g and cant create shared folder because device item is unavailable.
    All space in a roor FS

The only way I can explain this is from my own experience, using a 32Gb USB flash drive, OMV installed and created a partition to install, I had to use gparted to extend that root partition, but I have no intention of using the flash drive for anything other then OMV.

If I understand what you are saying that OMV uses the whole 250G on a standalone install then you could use gparted via OMV-Extras to re partition the drive, which again there is a @TechnoDadLife video in the guides to do this.

So the Proxmox option works :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only way I can explain this is from my own experience, using a 32Gb USB flash drive, OMV installed and created a partition to install, I had to use gparted to extend that root partition, but I have no intention of using the flash drive for anything other then OMV.
    If I understand what you are saying that OMV uses the whole 250G on a standalone install then you could use gparted via OMV-Extras to re partition the drive, which again there is a @TechnoDadLife video in the guides to do this.

So the Proxmox option works :)

If your goal is to not have OMV use the whole 250gig drive (personally I think it's bad practice to have your data and OS on the same physical media, but that is another thread).

You have 2 options.

1. As described above, install using the OMV ISO, then use Gparted to partition the root partition down to size, then partition the free space. It should then become available in the webUI.

2. Install Debian 9 (if you're using OMV 4)... partition the drive as you like during install. When the install is complete, install OMV 4 on top of Debian 9.

Either way will get you to the same place.

• I wonder about the 10 years old OMV project which has no such feature as a partion !
    dont hurt me baby .... :(

what to do?
    install on ProxMox 5G virtual disk + 250g disk and than clone with Clonezilla and restore on real 250G SSD?
    not crazy?

• Hi there.
    Not sure if I should open new one thread... Anyway, I have the same problem as it described by thread starter - just can't see any disks in dropdown list while creating shared folder.
    But it's seems different.
    I have fresh Debian 10 (with no GUI) installed with OMV 5.0.5 and it's real hardware, not virtual machine (yes, I know this is a great chance to have a headache using OMV5 right now, and please bealive me I do have all headache I could find or create myself about that, but it's another story :) )
    So I do see my both disks in Storage->Disks as /dev/sda and /dev/sdb
    But I suffer from the lack of them in dropdown list.

Maybe someone has an idea where I should start?

• Well,
    ext4 on my system /dev/sda and btrfs on my storage /dev/sdb
    and btw I can see all partitions in Storage->File systems.
    Do you think it's important which filesytems contain the disks? I thought it's rather about hardware detaction, than logical volume.

But I noticed one guy published OMV5 (usul) has been installed in debian 10 (Buster) for test
    and it seems quite usefull, at least I found that I forgot to run "omv-confdbadm populate". First run was unsucessfull and failed with errors, so I'll continue trying to fix it and will inform if it helped.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Uh, "omv-confdbadm populate" compelted sucessfully, but changed nothing.
    I still have empty list of disks

That command wouldn't help this problem. Did you mount your filesystems using the omv web interface? See problem #2 here -https://forum.openmediavault.o…tions-to-common-problems/

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That command wouldn't help this problem. Did you mount your filesystems using the omv web interface? See problem #2 here -https://forum.openmediavault.o…tions-to-common-problems/

Thank you for the link! This confirmed my guesses.
    As for question whether I mount via OMV - no, I didn't.
    However please note that I installed Debian 10 and mount all partitions first, and then rolled up OMV. Do I understand correctly that this is a valid way? And if so, is there a way for me to populate dropdown?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I understand correctly that this is a valid way? And if so, is there a way for me to populate dropdown?

That is not a valid way. You can create the filesystem from the command line if you want but you *must* mount the filesystem with the web interface.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!