OMV install on USB2.0 or HDD SATA?

• Hi all,

I've just finished rebuilding my OMV on a 250gb SATA HDD. Before configuring in anger, I wanted to be clear on my backup strategy. It seems to be a little more complex than I had originally presumed.

Question - is there any issue with installing OMV4 on USB 2.0 flash drives? (I don't have USB 3.0). I am thinking about re-installing OMV4, starting from scratch, because it seems that it is MUCH easier to backup and restore a small 16GB flash drive on an ongoing basis than it is a large 250GB internal SATA drive.

NB: I don't WOL/Sleep. OMV is either running or it is off.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• As long as you use the flash-memory plugin, there shouldn't be an issue.

If you don't, expect that flash drive to last you about a week.

Thanks for this. Is USB 2 port likely to pose a problem? What life can I expect from the USB stick with the plugin?

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for this. Is USB 2 port likely to pose a problem? What life can I expect from the USB stick with the plugin?

The life of the drive? I have no idea. The flash-memory plugin controls writing to the flash drive to prolong it's life, but I have no idea what the life of the drive may be. I'd assume the quality of the flash drive would be paramount here.

2.0 vs 3.0.. isn't really going to matter much in this case. As long as you're not storing actual data on your flash drive (which if you set up the OS as recommended, you won't).. then the only differences I would imagine you may see between USB 2.0 and 3.0 installs... 3.0 the machine would probably boot faster, and the webUI would probably be a touch faster.

• Thanks for this. I've decided to buy a couple of USB3 flash sandisk ultra drives. As you've mentioned, I'm not worried about the speed here - only getting some good quality flash drives in the hope to prolong its life. Time will tell!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use USB flash drives, 3 in total, one for master and two rotate on a monthly basis.

The same here, but I don't rotate the working drives as often. (However, the net effect is roughly the same.)

only getting some good quality flash drives in the hope to prolong its life. Time will tell!

The larger the drive, the longer they last. There's a finite number of write/delete/write cycles possible with flash media, to include SSD's. Of the unwritten area, on a Thumbdrive, writes and deletes are spread over the unwritten areas, start to finish, by the drives controller. This is known as "wear leveling". Hence, a drive that's twice as large lasts twice as long. On the other side of that coin, a drive that's twice as large takes twice as long to image. I've found that a good trade off is 16 to 32GB.

I've been running for a few years on the same drives and haven't had a failure yet. Do you have a process for cloning thumbdrives? If not, you'll find one -> here under OS backup. (And there's a section on setting up the flash memory plugin.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!