Newb questions re OMV and Raspberry Pi 4

• I'm new to OMV and the Raspberry Pi, but I'd like to build a Pi 4-based NAS to which I plan on backing up my Win10 PC using Macrium Reflect via Gigabit Ethernet using PoE as the sole source of power.

1. Any reasons why this won't work? Any issues I should be aware of?
    2. The series of beginner videos here on the forum look like they're perfect to get me started. I've just glanced at them so far, but one comment stuck out: you need to use powered drives. I'd like to use a single spinning disc (for capacity) and was hoping it could be powered by one of the USB 3 ports on the Pi 4. Has anyone successfully tried this yet (maybe on a Pi 3)? Am I out of luck?
    3. It looks like OMV v5 is supposed to support the Pi 4 and v4 does not. True? I know the v5 beta's available now. Any ETA on the final?

Thanks!

• 1. Any reasons why this won't work? Any issues I should be aware of?

I don´t know "Macrium Reflect" but as long as you can use a network drive as location this should work.

2. The series of beginner videos here on the forum look like they're perfect to get me started. I've just glanced at them so far, but one comment stuck out: you need to use powered drives. I'd like to use a single spinning disc (for capacity) and was hoping it could be powered by one of the USB 3 ports on the Pi 4. Has anyone successfully tried this yet (maybe on a Pi 3)? Am I out of luck?

I have an 2,5" external SSD working without separate power source (RPI4) . I´d highly suggest to use 3,5" just with external power.

3. It looks like OMV v5 is supposed to support the Pi 4 and v4 does not. True? I know the v5 beta's available now. Any ETA on the final?

Not true. However I´ve not tested v4 as I directly tested OMV5. For ETA take a look here: ETA for OMV 5.0 - weeks, months, quarters, 2020?

• 3.5" drives typically need 12 volts. A RPi can only supply 5 volts. I too use a 2.5 SSD (2 TB Crucial MX500) with a RPi 4. On OMV 4. Works fine. Spinning may take too much power.

Thanks for the Crucial tip. I might be able to get by with that capacity. What case do you use it with?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the Crucial tip. I might be able to get by with that capacity. What case do you use it with?

I use a StarTech.com S2510BPU337 with ASM1053 chipset. It is nothing special, and was pretty cheap, but it has UASP and is built for 7 mm drives, so it is thin and pocket friendly.

• 3.5" drives typically need 12 volts. A RPi can only supply 5 volts. I too use a 2.5 SSD (2 TB Crucial MX500) with a RPi 4. On OMV 4. Works fine. Spinning may take too much power.

So I thought I'd try my HDD since I already had it, jut to see if it worked. It seems to work fine, but I went ahead and got the same Crucial as you since the HDD may be marginal and end up failing in the field. The weird thing is, it took maybe 5 minutes for OMV 4 to add the file system to the HDD (4TB), but 15 hours just to create the blocks on the Crucial (~15K of them). Then it failed on the next step. Did you notice any similar behavior? Any suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I didn't notice anything like that. Everything worked like expected. Quick and no problems.

I don't remember the details, if I wiped the SSD in OMV or not, for instance. But I know I used it with my laptop before I used it with rpi4. And that means that I gave it a new gpt partition table and formatted TO one big ext4 partition. Because that is what I do with all my external drives.

I suspect that the SSD came as NTFS? That might cause problems?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!