CADDYserver / A cry for help

• Hey y'all!

I'm very new to OMV and hosting media in general. In the good 'ole days I used to watch my movies on my computer by myself, but now that I've got a family I decided to dabble in hosting my own media.

I'm on a fresh install of OMV4 with Docker - I have 3 containers; Jellyfin, Deluge and Docker.

Jellyfin is working like a dream on LAN (I'm highly recommending it if you haven't tried it out) -- but I'd like to share my library with a few friends as well (over WAN).

So to do this, I tried setting up Nginx and Traefik and another service which I can't remember what's called, but they were all too complicated for a beginner like myself, without any step-by-step guide on YouTube for me to follow. I spend around 5 days reading documentation and reinstalled OMV at least 8 times - to no avail.

After reading around on reddit.com/r/jellyfin I found out that Caddy is supposedly much easier than using the services previously mentioned - and I was relieved with the thought that I might actually be able to pull this off.

So here we go -- I'll try to write it as best as I can remember and add the logs that I know of.

The Domain

• First of all I read that Caddy does not work with DuckDNS, so I bought a domain from Namecheap (the domain extension was .casa so it didn't cost an arm and a leg).
    • I moved the name servers of mydomain.casa to Cloudflare.
    • Then I added a "record" in Cloudflare's DNS management tab - this was an "A record" where sub.domain.casa pointed to my WANIP:8096 (for Jellyfin).

The Container

Code
    mydomain.casa {
            proxy /fin 192.168.1.120:8096 {
            }
    }

tls {
        dns cloudflare
    }

and saved it as Caddyfile (without an .extention like .conf or .txt)

4. I then moved said Caddyfile to /etc/

Where It Fails

After running the container I can access 192.168.1.120:2015 -- where I'm greeted by a Caddy "FTP-like" interface.

The Caddy container log is returning this,

Accessing mydomain.casa with any sub.domain combo isn't working, just a "host-error" Cloudflare landing page.

Honestly guys. I feel really stupid. I've tried so hard. I've fallen asleep in my chair reading documentation on all of these services. To put it mildly; I'm frustrated.

If I had an inkling of what i was doing wrong I'd try it out immediately, but the problem is I don't even have that, so I don't know where to begin.

Thanks in advance guys.

• A little update - I'm made little to zero progress. Also tried out setting up Traefik again to no avail. Does anyone here possess some CADDY knowledge?

Thanks guys.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does anyone here possess some CADDY knowledge?

No, but Jellyfin gives remote access, I think what you do is to create the user then send them an email with a link, at least I believe that is the process, as Jellyfin can be set with remote access, and in the dashboard it will show a WAN IP with a port number. Not sure if you have to open that port up on your router.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!