Portainer/Docker

• I'm testing OMV5 on proxmox and I installed Portainer/Docker. On Omb4 Docker after a long time I was able to learn how to use Docker but now, I'm ashamed to say, with Portainer I don't know how to install and modify images. Can you recommend me a site or Youtube video where you can learn from, especially Plex and Transmition.

Thanks

• Thanks for the link, unfortunately I was spoiled by omv4 to use Docker-gui while using the Cli becomes complicated. As Techno Dad says in the video , Portainer-Gui is more complicated than Docker-gui that we used with omv4.

• I managed to install Plex but I can't insert the right folders. I have seen that in Portainer I can only see the files in
    /var/lib/docker/volumes/
    while I would like to see those found in
    /sharedfolders/media.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As Techno Dad says in the video , Portainer-Gui is more complicated than Docker-gui that we used with omv4.

I disagree. It is different and has more features (that doesn't mean you have to use them). I started porting the plugin to OMV 5.x but no one wants to maintain or add features. So, if it was available on OMV 5.x, very few would switch to portainer which needs to be the long term goal.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I managed to install Plex but I can't insert the right folders. I have seen that in Portainer I can only see the files in
    /var/lib/docker/volumes/
    while I would like to see those found in
    /sharedfolders/media.

If you specify a Volume, Portainer will show a drop-down list of volumes that have hashes for their names. These are the ones in your /var/lib/docker/volumes/ and you already know about this.

If you specify a Bind, Portainer will display a Host path box. You will have to know the fully qualified path and type it in by hand (or paste it in from the clipboard if you can get it into the clipboard). No selection drop-down list be be offered.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you specify a Bind, Portainer will display a Host path box. You will have to know the fully qualified path and type it in by hand (or paste it in from the clipboard if you can get it into the clipboard). No selection drop-down list be be offered.

If you create a new shared folder for each container, it is pretty easy - /sharedfolders/FOLDER_NAME. Or if you reuse a sharedfolder and create a sub-directory like TDL does in his videos, you just need to type /sharedfolders/FOLDER_NAME/NEW_SUB_DIR. But like you said, volumes are the better way to go.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I disagree. It is different and has more features (that doesn't mean you have to use them). I started porting the plugin to OMV 5.x but no one wants to maintain or add features. So, if it was available on OMV 5.x, very few would switch to portainer which needs to be the long term goal.

Thank you very much for the instructions, I agree perfectly with you, but as you know the news will put you off at the beginning, but then you will learn all

• If you specify a Volume, Portainer will show a drop-down list of volumes that have hashes for their names. These are the ones in your /var/lib/docker/volumes/ and you already know about this.

understood ... thanks a lot

• Offizieller Beitrag

A week ago when I first saw Portainer and couldn’t find Docker, I was just like you, but after messing with it a bit I think it will be better in the long run. In a docker container, if you missed a leading slash in your config path or something similar, you could save the container - it just wouldn’t run. You would just have to delete it and start over. In Portainer if you attempt to “deploy” you are prevented and given a warning notice. When you correct the missing slash it will go ahead and save. I’m sure it won’t protect you from every mistake, but I was impressed.

Watch the @TechnoDadLife video listed above and make a crib sheet matching each Docker section with its corresponding Portainer tab and ignore anything that doesn’t have a corresponding Docker section. Start off by turning off the first three radio buttons. I’m not looking at Portainer right now so I can’t be more specific. If you have questions don’t hesitate to post.

• in my case i have no problems with the containers there i use in omv4, but... it is difficould for me to manage nginx sides with a letsencrypt cert. ;(

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• A week ago when I first saw Portainer and couldn’t find Docker, I was just like you, but after messing with it a bit I think it will be better in the long run. In a docker container, if you missed a leading slash in your config path or something similar, you could save the container - it just wouldn’t run. You would just have to delete it and start over. In Portainer if you attempt to “deploy” you are prevented and given a warning notice. When you correct the missing slash it will go ahead and save. I’m sure it won’t protect you from every mistake, but I was impressed.

Watch the @TechnoDadLife video listed above and make a crib sheet matching each Docker section with its corresponding Portainer tab and ignore anything that doesn’t have a corresponding Docker section. Start off by turning off the first three radio buttons. I’m not looking at Portainer right now so I can’t be more specific. If you have questions don’t hesitate to post.

After an afternoon of rehearsals, I now understand that Portainer is definitely better and above all no time is wasted

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von @happyreacer

but... it is difficould for me to manage nginx sides with a letsencrypt cert.

Well now, I haven’t tried the remote side to Nextcloud yet. I know it was a bear in omv4. I’m waiting for omv5 to come out of beta and my current cert to expire before trying that. In the past few days I have been able to install containers for Plex, Mariadb, Nextcloud, and Heimdall without any trouble.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!