What is the best way to back-up OMV and to keep it healthy?

• Hello,

I've just installed OMV and I'm having a lot of fun with it, I do however miss a lot of documentation. Where FreeNAS is very clear on the installation do's and dont's I can't seem to find those on OMV. Questions that come to mind are:

- What happens when I lose my OMV installation drive?
    - How can I back-up my OMV installation drive?
    - Will there be an easy way to run my OMV installation drive in RAID1?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

https://openmediavault.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html

1. You buy a new one.

2. Unfortunately, not like you remember in FreeNas. If you have omv-extras installed on omv 4, you can click on omv-extras and then kernel.. and there is a way to boot Clonezilla. You can then clone your OS drive to another drive. This is the only supported way to back up your OS drive.

3. If you want to run OMV on a raid 1 (I can't really imagine why, that seems silly)... You would likely need to do a Debian 9 net install and set up the raid 1 for your OS drives and set up the raid 1 during install.. complete the installation process and don't install any GUI's, etc... then install OMV 4 on top of Debian 9. I've never done it, but that should do what you want. Substitute Debian 10 if you're planning to install the soon to release OMV 5 (although it's technically still beta).

There are instructions in the Guides forum to install OMV on top of Debian.

• Thanks for your reply!

Fair enough ;) but the underlying question was to find out what I'll actually lose. Can I mount my arrays on a completely new/seperate installation? My settings in OMV aren't that specific so setting up monitoring etc won't be much hassle anyway if I have to reinstall OMV from scratch.

Just having 1 disk for the OS does leave me with an extra free SATA port for my array :)

• Can I mount my arrays on a completely new/seperate installation?

Usually Yes, if you refer to data drives.

But, as @KM0201 has mentioned, it is always recommended to have a clone of the system disk (SD Card, USB stick), because there is no (easy) way to restore an Openmediavault configuration. It should be created at least before major updates, configuration changes and so on.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you set the OS up as recommended, and the OS disk dies.. you will only lose the OS.

Your data is stored on your data drives. You would basically disconnect the storage drives, reinstall the OS to your new OS drive, reconnect the storage drives, then mount the storage drives back in the webUI (this would include RAID's, etc.). Then you would simply need to add back your shared folders, plugins, etc.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Usually Yes, if you refer to data drives.
    But, as @KM0201 has mentioned, it is always recommended to have a clone of the system disk (SD Card, USB stick), because there is no (easy) way to restore an Openmediavault configuration. It should be created at least before major updates, configuration changes and so on.

I'm not sure I'd say it's always recommended, it's just the only way to back up an OS drive. I've not cloned or otherwise backed up my OS drive since I started using OMV in 2011. I just don't consider it something to worry about. I do keep fairly detailed notes on setting up some plugins, dockers, etc. that I've referenced while reinstalling.. but I've never backed up my OS drive.. and probably never will unless something better than cloning comes along.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've not cloned or otherwise backed up my OS drive since I started using OMV in 2011.

I just love reading through the forums. You learn so much. I laugh and then think about it and realize “that’s right” for certain situations and for certain folks. I have worried about things going south ever since I started almost a year ago. Now I won’t worry so much. But I will continue making a backup of my SD card.

• Offizieller Beitrag

it's just the only way to back up an OS drive

Well, there is the backup plugin that can be used to backup the live OS. With the backup plugin it is easy to make a backup, but more complicated to make a restore (depending on your linux skills).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, there is the backup plugin that can be used to backup the live OS. With the backup plugin it is easy to make a backup, but more complicated to make a restore (depending on your linux skills).

Hmm... I wasn't aware it would back up the OS drive. Interesting.

Point still stands though, I don' bother backing up the OS drive.

• Hmm... I wasn't aware it would back up the OS drive. Interesting.
    Point still stands though, I don' bother backing up the OS drive.

I do, because I have way too much time invested in getting my OMV OS to the point where it is now to have to start over from scratch. It started as OMV 2, was upgraded to OMV 3, and then upgraded to OMV 4 with quite a bit of other things on it besides OMV.

Besides, the way I do it it's automated and I spend zero time on it. It's backed up daily with dd on cron and I keep a rolling week's worth of backups. Restores are done with dd.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do, because I have way too much time invested in getting my OMV OS to the point where it is now to have to start over from scratch. It started as OMV 2, was upgraded to OMV 3, and then upgraded to OMV 4 with quite a bit of other things on it besides OMV.
    Besides, the way I do it it's automated and I spend zero time on it. It's backed up daily with dd on cron and I keep a rolling week's worth of backups. Restores are done with dd.

Yeah.. my stuff is pretty basic, and docker has made it even moreso. Even when I'm clean installing (which I generally do vs upgrading)... It probably takes me about 10min to reinstall, and assuming no hiccups, probably about an hour getting my shares back in order, Dockers set up, etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!