Local DNS, DHCP

• So I have been researching the Local DNS, DHCP section of OMV 4 and need some help. I'm looking to use OMV to assign/manage all IPs on my network, as well as being able to type in something like home.nextcloud or home.OMV to access various servers or individual machines. What's the best way to configure this?

I tried setting a static IP via System>Network>Interfaces, but OMV shows no interfaces. Per the official documentation, this is normal, but how am I suppose to set a static IP for my OMV server? When I attempt to Add>Ethernet>enp0s25 and setup the correct values (listed below), it returns an error, which according to journalctl -xe is Aug 22 19:16:52 HomeServer systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network interfaces.. I used the following parameters:

• IPv4

• Method: Static
      • Address: 192.168.1.200
      • Netmask: 255.255.255.0
      • Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I assume the Gateway should stay as the router?

Also, under Services>Local DNS/DHCP>Setting I have "Enable" selected and inputed a Domain (HomerServer). Log Queries are selected. DHCP setting have the DHCP eneabled, along with log DHCP.

• Lease Network does NOT allow me to select anything.
    • Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    • First IP: 192.168.1.10
    • Last IP: 192.168.1.250
    • Lease time: 12hours
    • DNS Search Domain(s): HomeServer
    • DNS Servers: 1.1.1.1, 1.0.0.1

All this gives me an error: Network: The value 'NULL' is not a string. Should I assume this is because "Lease Network" doesn't allow me to set anything. Also, am I suppose to list the router as the Gateway? Should I list my OMV server IP as one of the DNS Servers, if I want to do the whole HomeServer.Nextcloud to access Nextcloud?

New to Linux and this level of networking, so any help is greatly appreciated.

• May I suggest to run pi-hole for DNS/DHCP? You can run it as docker image on OMV or virtualbox The added functionality is that it will block ads.

Whatever path you choose the DNS/DHCP server should always have a static IP. Also disable the DHCP from your router

• Offizieller Beitrag

I do exactly what you describe.

But I set it up on my router. It is a GL-iNet 300M. It has DHCP and dnsmasq. Your router might have it as well.

I simply create static leases for each device and assign a meaningful name. And then I can use the names instead of the IP:s.

Make sure to backup the config. Print out a screendump or something.

• Ya, I have a lot of options on my Router, but the DHCP has me assign static IP's via Mac, without giving me the Hostname. So, I have to keep a separate list of MAC addresses to figure out how I'm assigning IP's, which I don't like. Also, I want to be able to go to something Like HomeServer.OMV or HomeServer.Nextcloud to make it easier to acess my different servers

• I do, however, need help figuring out why my OMV setup wont let me acess Network interfaces or set them up. I would like to fix that, as I currently cant set my box up for a static IP via OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

need help figuring out why my OMV setup wont let me acess Network interfaces or set them up.

Are you running an SBC? If you are, do you use a wired connection to your network?

• I have an x86 running Debian 9 with KDE Desktop Environment (running a RealVNC server allows me to easily remote connect to my server). I installed OMV 4 on top. Wired Gigabit Ethernet port connected to Router.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, you have a hybrid setup. Since there's no way to know for sure what the impact would be with a static address, to keep everything functional, it might be best to setup a permanent DHCP lease at your router.

On the CLI, you can find the interface MAC address using ip addr. With that,you'll be able to set up the static lease at your router, which is the functional equivalent of assigning a static IP address to the workstation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!