Best practise: NAS upgrade from OMV 1.19 (on BananaPi) to OMV 4.x (on Odroid HC-1) while keeping the same data disk

• Hi there,

I want to upgrade my dated BanaNAS System (mentioned in the signature below) to a newer one (Odroid HC-1).

As far as I've read I can't just simply export and import the old settings from OMV 1.19 to OMV 4.x - but that's fine as long as I can re-create them step by step on the new hardware for each user and service.

What about the 1TB HDD containing the data, though? What's the best practise to follow when setting up the new system?
    Can I just simply plug the existing 1TB HDD into the Odroid HC-1, install OMV 4.x on a microSD card and configure everything with the data disk already connected and filled with data?

Or are there any more elegant (or save) ways to get the new system up and preferably keep all the data from the data disk without the need to wipe it clean and copy everything back from my "external USB backup disk"?

Thank you a lot for some guidance.

Best regards.

OMV 1.19 (OMV-Extras.org 1.34) | BanaNAS | 16GB microSD (using FlashMemory plugin) | 1TB SATA WD Blue Mobile

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can I just simply plug the existing 1TB HDD into the Odroid HC-1, install OMV 4.x on a microSD card and configure everything with the data disk already connected and filled with data?

Yes but plugin the disk after install OMV 4.x on the sd card and updating the OS. As long as you create the users with the same user IDs, you should be good. Otherwise, you may need to fix permissions on some files.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you a lot for the fast reply.

As long as you create the users with the same user IDs, you should be good.

Oh, I can influence the (Linux) user IDs when creating/editing new users? I didn't know that (or at least did not notice it).

Or did you mean I just need to set up the same users (name, access rights and login credentials) as on the old box?

OMV 1.19 (OMV-Extras.org 1.34) | BanaNAS | 16GB microSD (using FlashMemory plugin) | 1TB SATA WD Blue Mobile

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh, I can influence the (Linux) user IDs when creating/editing new users? I didn't know that (or at least did not notice it).

No but if you create them in the same order, they should have the same user id. It is possible to change them from the command line as well.

Or did you mean I just need to set up the same users (name, access rights and login credentials) as on the old box?

name and access rights are important. credentials/password doesn't need to be the same unless it is stored on a client.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!