Poor speed while copying Files

• Hi there,

I'm completly new to OMV and hoping that you can help me with my issue:

I am running OMV 4 on a raspberry 4 (1 GB RAM) with a 4TB Toshiba Canvio Basics 2.5'' HDD, connected via USB 3.0. All available system updates are done.

The only thing is the poor transfer speed with 2-3 MBytes/s (via Wifi) or 3-5 MBytes/s (via Ethernet). It doesn't matter if I use SMB, FTP or SCP, the result is always the same. If I connect the HDD directly to the PC, I get transfer rates around 100 MBytes/s.

Anybody got an idea where the bottleneck could be?

Thanks & greetings

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you tested the network speed? Perhaps using iPerf?

You run iPerf on two computers in the same network and it tells you how fast the network connection is.

You should get speeds corresponding to the type of network you use. If not you need to figure out what is wrong with the network. Your speeds seem low but pretty reasonable for wifi and fast ethernet. But way slow for GbE.

I just did a test between my RPi4 and a Odroid HC2 over GbE:

On the RPi4 I typed in:

sudo iperf3 -s

On the HC2 I typed in:

sudo iperf3 -c raspberrypi.local

And I got 922 Mbit/s bandwidth.

If you get good network speed you need to figure out if is the HDD, the RPi, OMV or the connection between the devices that are bad.

The easiest way is to change out things and see if the problem goes away or is connected to some item.

Try the easiest things first. Copy something else, one really big file instead of many small. Change cables. Use another HDD or a thumbdrive. Copy files in the other direction. Use another client. Use another RPi (or another computer) but keep everything else identical. And so on.

https://tynick.com/blog/07-08-…-speed-from-host-to-host/

• Hey,

thanks for the fast reply. I tried to check it with iperf, and I got 40 Mbits/sec bandwith via Wifi & 100 Mbits/sec bandwith via ethernet cable, which seems to be realistic.
    For my understanding, the infrastructure seems to be ok, or?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your infrastructure seems very bad if you want fast transfer speeds. The most you can expect to get is 10MB/s. And you are already halfway there. I suspect you have old tired equipment and the speeds you see is all that is possible with that equipment. This is just a guess from the numbers you have given here so far.

You might consider upgrading to GbE. Do you have a switch? That is the first item you need. A GbE switch. And new cables. Or an updated router with a built in GbE switch and 5GHz WiFi. And/or a 5GHz multi-node wifi mesh.

• Thanks for your advise adoby, but I am not to sure if it's "only" the infrastructure cause the used hardware should promise a higher transfer speed:

- Raspberry 4 (with 1 GB RAM) and a samsung evo 64gb u3 micro SDHC
    - 4TB Toshiba Canvio Basics 2.5'' HDD, connected via USB 3.0 to the Raspberry

- Fritzbox 7490 with Gigabit Ethernet connected to the Raspberry with a CAT6 Cable

The above mentioned numbers were once via Wifi 2,4 GHz and once directly connected to the router via Gigabit (also CAT6).

Am I wrong to expect higher transfer speeds with this setting?

Thanks a lot for your help and time :)

• - Fritzbox 7490 with Gigabit Ethernet connected to the Raspberry with a CAT6 Cable

Are you sure that the Ethernet speed is set to GBit of the Fritzbox´s internal switch? Sometimes it is set to "green mode" which means a restriction to 100 MBit/s. Generally I would advise to use a separate GBit switch instead of the internal switch of the Fritzbox. The network performance of these All-In-One-boxes is sometimes not the best.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Hey,

jep accordingly to the fritz backend all ports are set to gigabit and the raspbi is connected with gigbat speed.

Same with the USB3 Ports (they could also be in green mode, but aren't)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. You should get more than 10 times faster speeds. Your current speeds indicate that you are using Fast Ethernet. 100Mb/s and not 1000Mb/s. And not even managing to get 100Mb/s. And just 2.4GHz wifi.

For some reason, even if your equipment is capable of GbE speeds it is working on (less than) 100Mb/s speeds.

The reason why this is happening is most likely faulty equipment or equipment that for some reason only allows 100Mb/s speeds.

To find out you need to disconnect EVERYTHING. Then just connect the RPi4 and a PC and verify that you do now get GbE speeds between them. 1000 Mb/s network speed. 60-100 MB/s file transfer speeds.

If this works, reconnect more stuff and see if the speed stays high. When the speed drops you have located the faulty/bad part.

If you can't get GbE speeds between the RPi and a PC then you need to change things until you do. It is few things, so it should be easy. Change ports in the router. Change cables. Change PC. Change RPi. If nothing works your switch may be bad. Then you can have it replaced or get a GbE switch that you use instead of the ports on the router.

The wifi bit is more difficult. It can be difficult to get 5GHz wifi except very close and with free sight between the devices. Your router supports mesh wifi. Adding a couple of extra nodes might help. I have 3 nodes.

• Offizieller Beitrag

100 Mbits/sec bandwith via ethernet

Then that's the problem as @Adoby has already said he's getting 922 which tells you his bandwidth is correct, if you are only getting 100 then there is a hardware issue somewhere.

Start by replacing the ethernet, Cat5e is sufficient then try iperf again, another option is to look in OMV -> System Information and locate your Interface information <interface name> it will tell you what it's running at.

I also agree with @cabrio_leo something I have never done is connect to the router ports other than to make a connection from the router to a powered switch, everything else goes in the switch.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!