Portainer: Much Ado About Nothing

• Offizieller Beitrag

Like I said, I'm a major creature of habit, so I completely understand the whole "change is bad" thing.. :)

When it was being discussed that the docker plugin was going away in favor of Portainer/Cockpit for OMV 5... I actually installed Portainer (alongside the docker plugin) on OMV 4 and used it to get comfortable with it's use. Only took a few hours and I found it just as easy as the docker plugin and probably within a couple days, I just went ahead and uninstalled the docker plugin on OMV 4 and am now just using Portainer on OMV 4 for container management

• Like I said, I'm a major creature of habit, so I completely understand the whole "change is bad" thing.. :)

When it was being discussed that the docker plugin was going away in favor of Portainer/Cockpit for OMV 5... I actually installed Portainer (alongside the docker plugin) on OMV 4 and used it to get comfortable with it's use. Only took a few hours and I found it just as easy as the docker plugin and probably within a couple days, I just went ahead and uninstalled the docker plugin on OMV 4 and am now just using Portainer on OMV 4 for container mmanagement

After trying it I agree it's not that much different just learning where bits are in a new interface. I'd be happier knowing this is where omv is going to stick. I think offering two interfaces is possibly a bad idea as it would make support more difficult (I'm basing this on newbies, I'm still included in this)imo.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Offizieller Beitrag

After trying it I agree it's not that much different just learning where bits are in a new interface. I'd be happier knowing this is where omv is going to stick. I think offering two interfaces is possibly a bad idea as it would make support more difficult (I'm basing this on newbies, I'm still included in this)imo.

If I'm not mistaken, Portainer is recommended, with Cockpit just being an option. I don't see any reason not to offer both... users can make the decision. You can install both if your heart desires.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think offering two interfaces is possibly a bad idea as it would make support more difficult (I'm basing this on newbies, I'm still included in this)imo.

cockpit is being offered as a replacement for virtualbox (since virtualbox packages are not in Debian 10 repos). cockpit just happens to have a docker module in case someone wants to use it. While I agree people should use portainer, some people wanted the cockpit docker module because it is less complex. Offering two interfaces is probably less of a problem than the current plugin missing features people are looking for. I think once people start using cockpit and see the features it is missing, most will move to portainer.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• cockpit is being offered as a replacement for virtualbox (since virtualbox packages are not in Debian 10 repos). cockpit just happens to have a docker module in case someone wants to use it. While I agree people should use portainer, some people wanted the cockpit docker module because it is less complex. Offering two interfaces is probably less of a problem than the current plugin missing features people are looking for. I think once people start using cockpit and see the features it is missing, most will move to portainer.

fair enough thanks for explaining. I was just thinking about you guys lol. Just got to work out best way to store the containers now sort of like techno dad's way of making a applications share with subfolder for each container, just got to work out moving the containers from the location the original location the guide in the forum makes to the new when omv5 is ready for switching to.

OMV 5 - 64 bit
    Dell T430, 16gb Ram, 5 x 3TB HDD Raid5, 1 x 120GB 2.5" SSD (OS)

• Hello everyone.

Let me see if I understand ...

In order to use Portainer in OMV 15 beta, must I first install docker-ce and then the Portainer?
    So, I don't have to configure anything never ever in the OMV Docker interface? Only in the Portainer? Is that so or am I lost?
    Sorry for my dumb question.

I followed the @TechnoDadLife tutorial but I had that doubt.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for your great work and to the community.

Have a nice day

• Offizieller Beitrag

In order to use Portainer in OMV 15 beta, must I first install docker-ce and then the Portainer?

While it makes sense to, you don't have to. As the note under the install portainer button says, if you click install portainer and docker isn't installed, it will install it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just wanted to be sure what was the right way.

I tried to make the buttons do the right thing no matter what you clicked first.

• Currently i'm running OMV 4 with multiple dockers.
    In order to prepare for the upcoming OMV 5 i'm looking at portainer.
    I do have one question. Is it possible to change the port for the portainer docker?
    Portainer is running at port 9000 but i do have an other container running at the same port. (Squeezebox).
    Squeezebox needs this port to be able to connect to the audioplayers.

Maybe it is possible to add the option within omv-extra to change the port for portainer?

Thanks.

• I don't know if you can do it via OMV-GUI. You can install Portainer by command line:

Code
    docker run -d -p 9001:9000 -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer

So Portainer is running under port 9001 instead of 9000 or to say it correctly, the internal port is still 9000 but you can connect from outside via port 9001

Edit: @geaves was a little faster ;)

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible to change the port for the portainer docker?
    Maybe it is possible to add the option within omv-extra to change the port for portainer?

I knew someone would want to ruin my simplicity by asking for that. I was hoping there was nothing that absolutely had to have that port out there. Yes, it is possible. I guess I will look at adding that as an option.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What program needs port 9000?

Squeezebox I guess.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!