Portainer: Much Ado About Nothing

• Offizieller Beitrag

If there is a move to drop the Docker plugin for Portainer, why not use Cockpit, it's easier to use and understand and not as daunting as Portainer. I've tagged the OMV version as 5 purely for this thread.

• Offizieller Beitrag

why not use Cockpit,

It also doesn't have as many features. That said, I guess I could add a button to install Cockpit.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It also doesn't have as many features.

I was looking more at the KIS principle, I have been poking around portainer and trying out jellyfin, it did throw something odd that I wasn't expecting nor understood.

But I thought about Cockpit in regards to VM installs as well instead of VB, but there is one caveat to that

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was looking more at the KIS principle,

I just pushed omv-extras 5.0.4 to the repo and now you can select if you want portainer and/or cockpit.

But I thought about Cockpit in regards to VM installs as well instead of VB, but there is one caveat to that

omv-extras pins the cockpit packages from the backports repo. So, if you have backports enabled, you will get the cockpit 199 packages.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would agree but a new user could look at portainer and it appear rather daunting compared to the current plugin, but with Cockpit you get 2 for 1 :)

I've grown pretty fond of Portainer. I'm gonna take redo my test build and put cockpit on it and see how that goes, but that probably won't be till next week due to work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about the possibility of enabling qemu-kvm install with cockpit?

I did have the plugin install the cockpit-machines package but I forgot that it doesn't have a dependency on qemu-kvm. So, it never gets installed. I will fix that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

5.0.5 is in the repo now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you've got a new comforter :D

I had some unexpected free time tonight and just took a gander at cockpit.

It does seem to have a slightly better interface. One thing I noticed is it has a "depends on".. option in the container settings. I'm assuming that means Container A has to be up, before Container B can start. I've been having some issues w/ OMV 5 and Nextcloud starting out of order... works fine once I manually start everything in the right order... I've not gotten around to messing with docker compose yet (which would also solve this).

If I'm understanding that feature of Cockpit corfectly.. that's a pretty good feature.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had some unexpected free time tonight and just took a gander at cockpit.

There appears to be one caveat with Cockpit, it requires Network Manager! if you look at TDL's video Cockpit's Network Manager is not installed.
    This creates 2 problems; 1) There appears to be no way to select a network setting in docker. 2) You cannot create a VLan in the VM section, having experience of MS Hyper-V you create a VLan for each VM.
    What I believe Cockpit is doing for VM without Network Manager is to use NAT, which if memory serves me correctly is the default for VB.

I am going to test a theory with Cockpit, I have installed Cockpit's Network Manager this appears in the menu on the left, but whilst it locates my NIC it knows it is not associated to NM.
    My current OMV4 runs off a USB Flash Drive, I have 3 in total, 1 x Master and 2 I rotate on a monthly basis, I have created an image from the current working USB I intend to write that to other 2 USB's and test them to ensure they boot. Once that's done I'll use one to boot and install Network Manager on OMV, this is against the norm as OMV uses ifupdown for networking, but it's the only way I can see to allow Cockpit to access the NIC. However, this has to be changed in the NM conf file

[ifupdown]
    managed=true

the above change allows NM access/control over the current ifupdown configuration.

Is this a good idea, don't know, that's why I shall test it knowing I have 2 working USB's to fall back on.

I have not ventured into uses OMV5 I'll wait until it comes out officially, my thought was it that Cockpit IMO is more user friendly than Portainer. Again IMO with Portainer it's an advanced front end for Docker, and for some could a steep learning curve after the plugin, hence why I started the thread.

• Cockpit seems like the best way to go for the docker part and maybe also if you want to make virtual machines. But I am not quite sure if this is something I should ask for here or if it is at Cockpits cummunity. Would it be possible to be able to browse for locations when defining path's to docker containers in stead of writing it manually? Just like we did with the old docker ui.
    It would make things much easier and prevent potential typos.

And a other thing I am having problems with starting virtual machines. The network for the VM does not seem to work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I should ask for here or if it is at Cockpits cummunity.

Probably in the Cockpit community, as of 1.99 you can now select a shared folder for deployment of VM's previously as with 1.88 the VM would be stored on your boot drive, not a good idea.
    TBH what you have suggested makes sense considering there is a cockpit-storage plugin, but you could use FTP to copy and paste a complete path rather than type it all in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You cannot create a VLan in the VM section, having experience of MS Hyper-V you create a VLan for each VM.

This is some weird hyper-v thing then. You don't have to create a vlan for each VM on kvm or vmware. On VMware, you can attach a VM to a port group that is on a vlan but it isn't required.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would it be possible to be able to browse for locations when defining path's to docker containers in stead of writing it manually? Just like we did with the old docker ui.

No. Give it a try and you will see. Portainer can't do this because it is running in a container itself. Not sure why cockpit doesn't let you.

Other than the network stuff, it looks like cockpit's docker interface is very similar to the plugin. I don't see a hard learning experience here. I just hope networkmanager isn't required...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just hope networkmanager isn't required...

Ditto. I'm also looking at this.
    I don't get why network-manger seems to be gaining popularity (outside of desktop installations) or why server oriented app's like Cockpit are assuming it's installed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't get why network-manger seems to be gaining popularity (outside of desktop installations) or why server oriented app's like Cockpit are assuming it's installed.

Redhat owns Cockpit and on RHEL 8.x, networkmanager is required.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just hope networkmanager isn't required...

That's the reason I want to test this on working OMV albeit OMV4 because I think that is the reason that cockpit docker has no host or bridge option like the plugin, it could be you have to set that up in cockpits networking e.g. create a bridge, whereas the default for cockpit docker is host, + where some dockers such as Pi-Hole require a MacVlan, in this case you would use a Vlan created in cockpits networking.

This is some weird hyper-v thing then.

:D I suppose so yes, with hyper-v the networking is set as a vlan, I know when I last used vb I had to change the networking, this allowed the vm to be exposed to the local lan and the internet which at the time was necessary for my W7 install.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!