Can't install openmediavault 4.1.23-1 on Debian 9.9 (Armbian 5.73 aml-s912)

• i buddies!

I have issues installing openmediavault. Can any one help me?

I have followed the instructions as on this forum , when I get to execute the installation command it prompts:

#######################################################

root@aml:~# apt-get install openmediavault

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following NEW packages will be installed:

openmediavault

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 1917 kB of archives.

After this operation, 12.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Get:1 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public arrakis/main arm64 openmediavault all 4.1.23-1 [1917 kB]

Fetched 1917 kB in 0s (4347 kB/s)

sh: 3: /etc/default/openmediavault: Syntax error: newline unexpected

E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke '. /etc/default/openmediavault; if [ ! -e ${OMV_DPKGARCHIVE_DIR}/Packages ]; then echo Building local package repository ...; cd ${OMV_DPKGARCHIVE_DIR} && apt-ftparchive packages . > Packages && apt-ftparchive release . > Release; fi'

E: Sub-process returned an error code

root@aml:~# nano /etc/default/openmediavault

root@aml:~# ls /var/cache/openmediavault/archives

ls: cannot access '/var/cache/openmediavault/archives': No such file or directory

#######################################################

What is wrong? What should I do differently to fix it?

Thanks for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would you be interested in a fully integrated installation ISO that includes Debian 9 and OMV? -> ISO.

(Otherwise)

Apt-get doesn't work (correctly)

Install Debian 9 as you did before. Install Debian 9 net install version, preferably without all the extra software. Note that installing OMV would be easier with the SSH server installed, so install SSH server. You'll also need an SSH client, like PuTTY. Install Putty on a Windows client and use it to connect to the new Debian 9 installation by IP address.

(*Putty will allow you to use copy and paste to apply the script below. In Putty, a right click of the mouse is the equivalent of Cntrl+V or "Paste".))

Use the script found -> here.

The first section of the script should be pasted in all at once. (One time.)

The second section can be pasted a line or two at time, but lines 7 through 11 could to be pasted in together. If you fat finger something, this section can be redone.

Once you're up and running, this -> guide might be useful for getting you started.

For help beyond the above, this is the Guides section of the forum.

• @crashtest
    Many thanks for your kind reply!
    The procedure you are indicating in your reply for installation is the one I have applied. I have added the source package link and then I executed the script, where I get the error cited in my post above [ sh: 3: /etc/default/openmediavault: Syntax error: newline unexpected...]
    [Apt-get doesn't work (correctly)] : so far I did not suspect apt-get since I could install a lot of apps with it but without problems as Mosquito, node red, apache etc... In case apt-get is the problem, then which alternative command could replace it..? Any recommendation!

I can not use the iso, since there is no image for the hardware I am using.

I am using ssh of Linux mint v19. 1 to access the armbian device (amlogic s912 CPU).

In the moment I have no clue, where to start looking for the root of the error. It seems to stop the installation due to an error coming from some where while executing the installation script.
    Is it an error in the xml file or access right in my system or something else..?

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, with a few more details, can I assume that you're using Armbian?

If so, Armbian has a menu driven software installer that (I believe) includes Openmediavault as 3rd party software. (I think it's under the "Softy" menu selection.) Have you tired that?

On the CLI, sudo armbian-config

I just notice the full title of this thread. :) Sorry, initially I missed "Armbian".

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von @crashtest

includes Openmediavault as 3rd party software. (I think it's under the "Softy" menu selection

yes it does. Just did it this morning.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• I did try first to use the installation menu of Armbian, which did not work ;(

• yes it does. Just did it this morning.

I have just tried it and it exits, after the verification of the security key, but with no further error messages issued 8|

Here the error code I could see after "aptitude install openmediavault"
    [sh: 2: /etc/default/openmediavault: Syntax error: newline unexpected
    E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke '. /etc/default/openmediavault; if [ ! -e ${OMV_DPKGARCHIVE_DIR}/Packages ]; then echo Building local package repository ...; cd ${OMV_DPKGARCHIVE_DIR} && apt-ftparchive packages . > Packages && apt-ftparchive release . > Release; fi'
    E: Sub-process returned an error code
    ]
    I am guessing, the problem might be linked to access right, if you are confirming that both installation methods work.
    What might be the problem with "OMV_DPKGARCHIVE_DIR"??

• Dear "crashtest" & dear "Agricola!

I suspected today, that my apache, node red, sqlite and mosquitto installations are conflicting with the installation of openmediavault.
    So I have installed Debian from the scratch and managed straight to install openmediavault via armbian-config tool.

Thanks a lot for your support.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!