How to access hard drive connected to computer as external hard drive

• I set up a Raspberry Pi NAS (using OMV) to back up my external hard drive. when I went on holidays, I decided to take the back up drive with me, but when I connected it to the computer, the files show as system files, and when I tried to access the folder, it says "Access Denied". Does anyone know how to access the HDD information from the computer?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume that you use a OS that can read whatever filesystem you happen to have on the external backup drive.

Also I assume that you happened to have used a backup program that just copied over the existing files somehow.

If you login as root/superuser or admin on the computer, you should be able to freely access the files on the external backup drive, and also change their ownership and access rights. Otherwise examine the ownership and access rights of the files and create a compatible user to access the files.

If you do change ownership and access rights on the files on the external drive then you may have to do the same back when you get home and want to use the drive as data drive in OMV. Reverse the changes. Otherwise OMV may be unable to use the files/folders.

If you used a backup program that didn't just copy files but stored them in some other form, then you might be able to access the backups if you install the same backup software on your computer and try to restore a backup.

• Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using Windows 10, and I'm logged in as an admin. However, it doesn't allow me access (just see the folder when I have the option Hide protected operating system files checked out).

Using the Dir /a /q command on the command line it shows the owner of the folders is my user, but still shows access denied when I try to access the folder.

All the files were just manually copied to the network drive while it was connected via OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is a "network drive"? Do you mean a share?

What folder is it you are trying to access? Can't you, as admin, change the right on it so everyone has full access?

Is the drive formatted as NTFS?

If so it should be fully accessible to you as admin, at least as far as my spotty knowledge of windows goes. If not I am surprised you can see the drive at all.

• Hi Adoby, I have attached a few images for clarity.

I usually access it from the "server" link, which is the drive as a NAS. In windows, you just "map network drive" to access it.

However, now it is attached as an external drive and that is what it shows. When I double click to try to access the file, it will say "access denied" (sorry, it's in Spanish)

The drive can be seen, but not the contents, possibly because as NAS I needed username and password to access so the contents are possibly encrypted or locked, but I can't see any option that prompts for the username/password.

Yes, the drive is formatted as NTFS.

Maybe I'll just have to make do without my files this holiday, next time I'll copy what I want in a separate one.

Thanks for the help anywyay!

• As it looks like the disk is completely empty.
    Windows always automatically creates the two folders, which are folders that belong to the windows.

Anyway, the volume is empty...

[LibreELEC @ 2x RPi3, CoreELEC @ S12 Octa Core]

[ NAS OMV 5.xx (Usul) @ NanoPI M4 ]

[ Nextcloud 18.0.4 @ ODROID C2 ]

[ Motioneye @ RPi4]

• Hi all! Who knows what methods are available to recover a hard drive?

What do you mean with this question and why are you posting in this thread?

If you got help in the forum and want to give something back to the project click here (omv) or here (scroll down) (plugins) and write up your solution for others.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!