Does the Calibre Docker plugin copy all books from e.g. "folder: existing" to Calibre folder e.g. "folder: Library"?

• Hi there,

I have a large folder of a number of books. Instead of looking for an indexing solution to keep track of what's in there, I thought I'd give Calibre a try. My only issue is that I am not keen on 'duplicating' my large folder of books to another folder (Calibre Library).

Is it necessary to copy all of the books? Or is there a way of having my existing folder of books become the Calibre Library itself?

Many thanks,
    RS

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Offizieller Beitrag

My only issue is that I am not keen on 'duplicating' my large folder of books to another folder (Calibre Library).

According to the demo video you just tell Calibre where your books are, in other words you point to an existing directory.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Using calibre means that calibre makes a copy of all the books.

The idea being that when you have calibre, and calibre has a copy of the books, you can delete all other copies. Except backups. Also calibre will rename all books and put them in truncated author folders and you have no influence in how calibre names the books or folders. You are no longer expected to search or even access the books any other way but through calibre.

I have given up my soul to calibre. It is a stearn master. And calibre has all my books. And I no longer create wonderful meaningful hierarchies of folders to store my books. Instead I do this inside calibre. Or in the save-to-disk function of calibre.

However I don't use calibre as a docker, I have it installed on my laptop and use my OMV NAS for backups of the calibre library.

• Thanks for this. I'll give it a try!

NAS OMV 3.0.59 Rig: DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR | Opteron 165 Dual Core (no overclock) | 4GB Corsair Non-ECC DDR400 RAM | OMV3: 1x100GB IDE | Data: 2x 250GB WD 7200rpm, 2x 3TB WD Red, 1x 4TB Samsung 5400rpm

• Offizieller Beitrag

LOL... Man that was almost depressing (although accurate).

I use the calibre-web docker to avoid having other software on my phone/tablet/laptop.

I like it.

• I've just got this up and running - and even updated via command line in the docker which I thought was going to be an epic fail - but it worked! Liking it so far.. However, I'm starting to feel the age of my NAS. The Web gui is a tad bit slow.. :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I sold my soul to calibre. But I feel like I got the best out of that deal.

Calibre is a truly amazing piece of software. And the tabbed interface to the virtual libraries was my suggestion...

If you have questions then head over to the forums at mobileread.com. That is where the creator of calibre hangs out and gives support and there are several sub forums there about different aspects of calibre.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use the calibre-web docker to avoid having other software on my phone/tablet/laptop.

Calibre is a truly amazing piece of software. And the tabbed interface to the virtual libraries was my suggestion...

@KM0201 What clients do you use on your devices and how do you get them to sync? My Calibre server connection its on 172.xxx.xxx.xxx and my lan is 192.xxx.xxx.xxx. I am unable to connect with my device. I get the notice that it cannot find Calibre on my local network. What am I missing.

So @Adoby how do you serve your e-books to your mobile devices from the laptop, or do you just read them on the laptop?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use Google Chrome (or I guess any browser) to read my books. I just point it at the calibre url, log in, click on a book and click read. I don't need access to my books outside the house, so I don't concern myself with that.

Calibre-web, is software independent. Everything is done in the browser.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Calibre-web

I'm sorry. I missed the "web" part. I am trying to get Calibre act as an OPDS server in order to be able to read them from an iPhone or iPad away from home. Thanks for the reply.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So @Adoby how do you serve your e-books to your mobile devices from the laptop, or do you just read them on the laptop?

I don't serve them. I have them all on my reading devices.

I prepare the books in calibre and fix covers, metadata and so on. Convert novels to epub and remove bloat. Then I save a copy to a folder in one of my NAS. I connect to the folder as a device from calibre. That way I can sync updates and new additions fast from calibre to the NAS. I have separate folders and even separate calibre libraries for fiction, comics, non-fiction and periodicals. I'm thinking of adding a separate library/folder for manuals and data sheets.

Then on my reading device (currently Bouye Likebook Plus or Huawei Mediapad 5) I use the Android app FolderSync to sync changes on the NAS to a folder on the reading device. The Likebook Plus I only use for epub novels. The Mediapad tablet for epub, cbr/cbz and PDF.

When I save the books to the NAS I also save them into genre/topic subfolders based on tags I assigned in calibre.

So I normally only use calibre to prepare the books. Then the books are all are on my reading devices and I use the resources there to browse and read. I mostly use Mantano Reader Pro.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@Adoby That sounds...confusing, but you have a system that works for you, and that's good. I'm still searching. Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

When l get new books I prepare them first, using calibre. And then I copy over the new or updated books to my reading devices, via a folder on a NAS.
    So I have all my novels on my small e-ink reader. And I have all my novels, comics, non-fiction and periodicals on my 10" tablet.

• A bit late here, but I followed TechoDad Life's videos on YouTube to set up my Calibre server.

In order to read my books when not at home I just use my home IP address with the port number at the end ie 123.123.123.123:8081 this logs me straight in to my server and lets me read away from home.

Hope this is of help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3pnBSXo55k

HP-Z620
    Xeon CPU E5-2690 @ 2.90GHz X 2
    112Gb DDR3 ECC RDimm Memory

plugins: omvextrasorg | flashmemory | minidlna | cputemp | resetperms | wol | zfs

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von wonderbiscut ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!