Solved! Multiple USB 3 drives on a Pi 4

• Hi all,

First, I am very new here so I apologies in advance for any screw ups in protocol or stupid questions. I was successfully able to install the OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz onto a Pi 3B+ with no issues (although Etcher is always giving a checksum error on the verification) so I went out and purchased a Pi 4 because I really wanted the USB 3 capability. I was unable to simply burn the image using Etcher as I had done on the Pi 3B+ , I would get the four flashing green lights implying a boot loader issue that was not going to go away. After taking a clean image and updating on the Pi 3B+ I was able to move it over to the Pi 4 successfully and get it up and running. Here is my issue. First USB 3.0 drive hooked up works fine. Mounts, shares, security, all good. When I attempt to place a second, similar drive, on the second USB 3.0 port, it appears to see them as two identical drives. While they show up with unique identifiers under “Disks”, when mounted, they show up in the “File” menu as the same. I know it is confused because the second drive can not be unmounted any longer since the system is confusing the two drives. Am I missing something? Can the Pi 4/OMV treat the two drives independently? Ideally, I would like to be able to hang two drives off each Pi 4.

Thanks,
    Barry

• Offizieller Beitrag

it appears to see them as two identical drives.

Are they both ntfs drives with the same label?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi Ryecoaaron. I just checked under File System and yes to both. They are ntfs and both have the label "Seagate Backup Plus Drive". I assume that is the problem? Not sure how I change the label. Appreciate the guidance. I can slap them back onto a Window 10 system and change the label there I believe.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi Ryecoaaron. I just checked under File System and yes to both. They are ntfs and both have the label "Seagate Backup Plus Drive". I assume that is the problem? Not sure how I change the label. Appreciate the guidance. I can slap them back onto a Window 10 system and change the label there I believe.

While I wouldn't use ntfs at all, changing the labels should solve your problem. Try to convert the disks to a native linux filesystem though.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have the same problem with my Raspberry Pi 4 on raspbian. And its also the Seagate Backup Plus Drive.

At first when i plugged in both at the same time, the Pi just froze. After I changed the labels, the drives dont show up when I plug them in both at the same time.

When I plug in one, it shows up. If I plug in the other one afterwards, the first one disappears and none shows up. When I boot with both connected, none shows up.

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="Data-Raid-1" UUID="770d05f9-25aa-44ab-ae02-ccc1e61705db" UUID_SUB="8ef841a3-1cca-44f5-993e-2957ab2ab137" TYPE="btrfs" PARTLABEL="PDR-1" PARTUUID="c7489545-456e-40f5-b5de-f9e1810dd35e"
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="Data-Raid-2" UUID="7578b7d4-ff39-4fcd-bfda-322ecd8c9ab2" UUID_SUB="edbfa8e4-da2a-427d-971e-9a6af4d4f0af" TYPE="btrfs" PARTLABEL="PDR-2" PARTUUID="40f9f55f-2102-443f-b04a-099f2951a86a"

Any more ideas?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!