Media Choice for OS Disk

• I'm re-purposing a PC for OMV with all flash storage and 10Gbe. Data disks are occupying all the SATA ports on the ASRock Industrial IMB-181-L motherboard, with a 4 port 10Gbe NIC in the PCIE slot....so no SATA expansion options for an OS disk. The board has external USB 3.0 but only USB 2.0 internally. I'm doing this project with parts I had on hand, and I'm trying to determine the best place to put the OS with what I've got.

Normally, I'd go with an internal USB 2.0 solution and Flash Media Plugin, because its physically tidy without any wires. But, with all flash storage and four 10GBe ports, I don't know if the OS on USB 2.0 would have any impact? Here's what I have on hand to work with, any advice appreciated!

1. 16GB USB 2.0 Industrial DOM on an internal header
    2. 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive externally
    3. 120GB Flash Drive in an external USB 3.0 enclosure
    4. Install the OS to one of the Data Disks and re-partition after the install.

• I use a 16GB SSD in an external USB enclosure connected to a USB 2.0 port for the OS. Of your choices available it won't make any practical difference performance wise.

What are you going to do with a four port NIC in the PCIE slot?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• What are you going to do with a four port NIC in the PCIE slot?

Currently, everything with a 10Gbe NIC runs through a layer 3 switch (my desktop, two servers running ESXi, and a NAS running OMV). But, since all the higher speed traffic is to/from the NAS, I thought I'd experiment with direct connections to the NAS and cut out the switch entirely. So, this "new" machine would have the onboard Gigabit connection for updates and other users, plus three 10 Gb direct connections for my desktop and the two servers.

No....I don't really need 10GB speed all that often, but I had the hardware and like tinkering.

• Well, a four port NIC will provide four discrete networks to the machine with all the complexity that brings in with it. Unless you bridge the ports and then it behaves like the switch you want to eliminate.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, a four port NIC will provide four discrete networks to the machine with all the complexity that brings in with it. Unless you bridge the ports and then it behaves like the switch you want to eliminate.

I thought I'd try setting it up with three peer-to-peer connections first to see how it worked (NAS to Desktop, and NAS to each ESXi). I know pretty much how to do that. If that didn't work well, then I'd have to do some reading about how to set it up for switching. I had most of the hardware already, and found the 4 port Chelsio NIC for $15 (US), so thought it was a low cost experiment.

What I had no idea about was if the interface for the OS disk impacted throughput. If the OS on USB 2.0 isn't going to affect performance, I think the USB DOM is easiest to do. Nothing sticking out on the outside of the box for me to bump (I'm pretty clumsy).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!