VMWare and iSCSI

• Offizieller Beitrag
  • Hey,

I get this error in "systemctl status tgt.service":

Code
    tgt_target_create(2145) Target name iqn.2020-2.box.fritz.0E_13_CC_65_2E_FD:mactest has invalid characters

content is:

Code
    <target iqn.2020-2.box.fritz.0E_13_CC_65_2E_FD:mactest>
    device-type pt
    bs-type sg
    backing-store /dev/sg3
    initiator-address 192.168.1.129
    </target>

I try to mount my BRDVD drive. Worked yesterday when I setup iscsi und tgt in console without your plugin. As I see, your plugin will the same do within OMV.

Edit: I killed the MAC address out of the target name and now the services gets started. Maybe the insertion of MAC address is a bug?

Any suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any suggestions?

Your system seems to be resolving it hostname as a mac address. what is the output of: hostname -f

Do you have a plan to use LIO/targetcli in place of TGT ?

Wouldn't it be strange for the tgt plugin to use something other than TGT? I wrote this plugin because there was a need for an iscsi plugin. targetcli is not ideal for a plugin since it has an interactive setup instead of just creating config files. If there is a way to configure it with config files, I'm not against making another plugin. Why do you want targetcli/LIO instead of TGT?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

> Wouldn't it be strange for the tgt plugin to use something other than TGT?
    Yes but a LIO plugin to use targetcli ?

> I wrote this plugin because there was a need for an iscsi plugin.
    Thank You for your good job.

> If there is a way to configure it with config files
    cat configfile | targetcli

configfile look like:

cd /backstores/...
    create lun ...
    cd /iscsi
    create ...

> Why do you want targetcli/LIO instead of TGT?

I do not want LIO instead TGT I want ISCSI for OMV > 3 (to replace OMV 3 iscsitarget).

But from the OMV 5 FAQ:

Why there is no iscsitarget plugin in openmediavault 4 ?
    The intention is to migrate core underlaying software from iscsitarget to LIO targetcli

There is more implementation of SCSI target framework for Linux STGT, SCST but I understand that LIO is the "default" (?)

Best regards.

Francis

• Offizieller Beitrag

I had made 2 Targets (one for CDROM and one for a hardfile) and get 2 different target names (with 2 different MAC addresses)

I guess I will have to improve my code for hostname retrieval but it shouldn't be getting a mac address ever - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/engined/rpc/tgt.inc#L112

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes but a LIO plugin to use targetcli ?

That is a plugin that doesn't exist and I have very little time to write plugins.

No. I will never create automation that pipes values to an interactive prompt (or uses expect).

I do not want LIO instead TGT I want ISCSI for OMV > 3 (to replace OMV 3 iscsitarget).

TGT is iscsi. What am I missing?

Why there is no iscsitarget plugin in openmediavault 4 ?
    The intention is to migrate core underlaying software from iscsitarget to LIO targetcli

There is more implementation of SCSI target framework for Linux STGT, SCST but I understand that LIO is the "default" (?)

I don't understand the question here. The iscsitarget plugin was not ported to OMV 4.x because it doesn't work with the backports kernel. Volker (author of OMV) was going to write one but never had time. He didn't have time for it for OMV 5.x either. So, I wrote the tgt plugin. If that doesn't work for you, not sure what to say.

• Hello,

Sorry my english is bad and I think am not clear.

I am very happy with the TGT plugin (how many time waiting for an iscsi plugin). I do not say I am not happy with it.

I just ask you if you have a plan to use LIO like Volker say, if not this is not a problem.

Francis

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it possible to set a network range for the initiator and not only single IP addresses?

Sure. Just add 192.168.1.0/24 for the entire 192.168.1.0 range.

• I guess I will have to improve my code for hostname retrieval but it shouldn't be getting a mac address ever - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/engined/rpc/tgt.inc#L112

I've checked this again and tried to search for the MAC addresses. No network adapter, neither physical or virtual, have these MAC address(es)...

• Offizieller Beitrag

've checked this again and tried to search for the MAC addresses. No network adapter, neither physical or virtual, have these MAC address(es)...

Can you run php in interactive mode (php -a) and post the output of:

And the output of: hostname -f

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just updated the plugin to use hostname from the command line instead of the php functions. I know that will never return a random mac address. 5.0.5 is in the repo now.

• Super! tgt läuft bei mir jetzt produktiv. Habe mir ein Target für eine TimeMachine-Platte als mitwachsendes Hardfile erstellt. Läuft hervorragend! Bisher hatte ich mit TimeMachine über eine AFP/SMB-Freigabe irgendwann wiederkehrende Berechtigungsprobleme. Das ist nun mit dem iSCSI-Target erledigt :)

Super Sache!!

• Hi,

I having some problems with this plugin.

At least no Windows Hosts (Windows 10 + Windows Server 2019) can connect to the iscsi target.
    They are getting the error message: "the target name is not found or is marked as hidden from login"

For testing supposes i created a VM with debian 10, installed tgt manually and configured a target.
    The Windows hosts connected immediatly .

Do you have any idea, why the Windows hosts can not connect the iSCSI target on OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you have any idea, why the Windows hosts can not connect the iSCSI target on OMV?

Since I don't know how either was configured, no. Did you compare the /etc/tgt/targets.conf and /etc/tgt/conf.d/* created by the plugin with what you created manually? If you find something that needs to be changed in the plugin, I can do that.

• Both configs are simple and looks good.
    Even a "tgtadm --mode target --op show" looks good (is online) on OMV, but i can't connect to the iscsi target on OMV.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this error on OMV ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!