VMWare and iSCSI

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don’t think so. I am already working on OMV6, so there is no time for a iSCSI plug-in. And to be honest, i am not interested in that because I personally do not use it, but maybe an external contributor will implement it. OMV is a open source project, everyone can contribute and help the community.

• Offizieller Beitrag

And to be honest, i am not interested in that because I personally do not use it, but maybe an external contributor will implement it.

You did file a github issue and tagged it OMV 5.x - https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/258. Maybe close it?

Will there be support for iSCSI in OMV 5.x? I am wanting to use this as a datastore for my ESXi enviroment.

nfs works very well for ESXi. I use it for most of my VMs. Is there a specific reason you want iSCSI?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You did file a github issue and tagged it OMV 5.x - github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/258. Maybe close it?

No, maybe it will be contributed by someone else. The issue tracker is not only for me, it should reflect issues related to the project and should be used as a source of inspiration for contributors. If you remove the issue then the requirement of such a plugin is not visible.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, maybe it will be contributed by someone else. The issue tracker is not only for me, it should reflect issues related to the project and should be used as a source of inspiration for contributors. If you remove the issue then the requirement of such a plugin is not visible.

Ok. I wish there were other contributors...

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• nfs works very well for ESXi. I use it for most of my VMs. Is there a specific reason you want iSCSI?

I have two different storage devices and the multipathing and load balancing is handled better with iSCSI. I am currently using FreeNAS and have not been completely happy with it.

• Hi,

I might be willing to try my hand at writing an ISCSI plugin.
    I've used OpenFiler, Centos, QNAP and ReadyNAS before as well as FreeNAS.

I liked OpenFiler, but it's dead and gone as far as support, I looked at OMV quite a number of years ago and like the progress I'm seeing in the new version.

Given the current dev cycles, I'd be interested in knowing what the dev team leads, such as votedev and ryecoaaron as well as the user base, think about starting such a plugin on 4.1.27+ vs 5 series?
    Is the plugin api going to change much between 4 -> 5 ?

I have more experience with the older iscsitarget setups, but it seems like targetcli and LIO are now the defaults on Debian.

Are there standard points/ways of integrating with the dev team etc. I should be aware of ? What kind of testing setups etc. are available?

Cheers,
    TJ

• Offizieller Beitrag

@rjones1229 @TJS I created a basic tgt plugin. Feel free to test it out and/or add/suggest features. https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…lopers/openmediavault-tgt

• ryecoaaron,
    I have a question about your tgt plugin, Is the target "backing store", the "name" in the shared folders?
    I can connect to the omv iscsi target from win10, but no volume or disk shows in disk management...

I am new to this forum and not sure if this is the correct place to ask this.
    Thank you for you iscsi plugin....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the target "backing store", the "name" in the shared folders?

The backing store is a block device. So, that could be a partition without a filesystem, an image file, or the most popular option (in my opinion) is an LVM logical volume.

I guess this works with ZFS?

It should since zfs can provide a block device (zfs volume).

can you give a simple how-to for this?

Sure.

• Wipe a disk in the Physical Disks tab
    • Install the LVM plugin from the Plugins tab
    • Add the newly wiped disk as a Physical Volume in the LVM plugin.
    • Create a new Volume group consisting of the new physical volume in the LVM plugin. I named it vgiscsi.
    • Create a new Logical Volume on the new volume group in the LVM plugin. I named it lviscsi1 and made it 2GB.
    • Enable the tgt plugin in the Settings tab of the TGT plugin
    • Add a target from the Targets tab
      • Name: misc1
      • Backing store: /dev/mapper/vgiscsi-lviscsi1
      • Initiator address (name or IP of system you want to use the iscsi target): omv4dev
    • Save and apply
    • It should be ready for the initiator on the client.

Here is a good how to as well - https://www.tecmint.com/setup-…nd-initiator-on-debian-9/

• ryecoaaron,
    Your instructions have worked for me. I am able to implement iscsi disk from win 10 and server 2012 R2 to OMV.
    We prefer iscsi disk rather than vhdx on smb share.
    Thank you!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wanted to wait to add more notes on the plugin until I knew it was working as expected. Seems like it is. So, I will add some notes and try to make it a little easier to use.

• Hello,

Some plugins modification.

- For a target possibility to set No "Initiator Address" --> all access
    - For a target possibility to add multiple "Initiator Address" IQN or IP.

etc-tgt-conf_d-target_conf.j2

<target {{ target.iqn }}>
    backing-store {{ target.backingstore }}
    {%- if target.initiatoraddress | length > 0 %}
    {%- for initiator in target.initiatoraddress.split(' ') %}
    {%- if initiator | is_ip %}
    initiator-address {{ initiator }}
    {%- else %}
    initiator-name {{ initiator }}
    {%- endif %}
    {%- endfor %}
    {%- endif %}
    {%- if target.extraoptions | length > 0 %}
    {{ target.extraoptions }}
    {%- endif %}
    </target>

Tarjets.js

xtype: "textfield",
    name: "initiatoraddress",
    fieldLabel: _("Initiator Address"),
    allowBlank: true

Tested with OMV 5.2.7-1 with windows 2016 and ESXi 7.6 initiators.

Best regards.

Francis

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some plugins modification.

Can you submit a pull request to https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…/openmediavault-tgt/pulls?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I do that ?

I do not have anmicrosoft account and do not want it.

Github may be owned by microsoft but is a separate entity. Normally when you want someone else to do work, you should be willing to put in a little work/learning yourself. I guess I will do it when I have time...

• > Normally when you want someone else to do work, you should be willing to put in a little work/learning yourself.

Sorry not sure I understand... ?

I do not ask you to do work for me, I just give some enhancements of the code to all.

It take me lot of time to understand a little jinja2... but I do not need/want to learn/work with github I can ?

Francis

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!