Can't save network settings?

• I updated the firmware on my Aquantia card today and after that, I can't configure the card in OMV.
    OMV-firstaid doesn't work either and I get the same error message there.
    Everything seems to be working fine still, so not sure what's going on.
    The card is not in the list of network interfaces in the OMV UI though.
    Any suggestions as to what have gone wrong and how to possibly solve it?

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

Any suggestions as to what have gone wrong and how to possibly solve it?

Did it change the device name? What is the output of: ip a

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Nothing change, the UI kind of hangs and tells me I need to save the settings, but it can't be saved, so I have to revert the settings.
    OMV-firstaid comes out with the same "Failed to execute command" error.
    enp1s0 is the Aquantia card.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't see anything strange. Seems to be having a problem reconfiguring collectd. I have monitoring disabled on all of my systems. So, I can't help much.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Well, I'm at a total loss, but I can't change any settings, which is annoying, as I wanted to change the MTU size, but as it's not possible to save any changes, or even add the specific interface in the UI...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I'm at a total loss, but I can't change any settings, which is annoying, as I wanted to change the MTU size, but as it's not possible to save any changes, or even add the specific interface in the UI...

File an issue on github. Until then, you can manually edit /etc/network/interfaces

• File an issue on github. Until then, you can manually edit /etc/network/interfaces

You know, these are things "normal" people simply don't do.
    I'm not a software developer. I just expect this stuff to work...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You know, these are things "normal" people simply don't do.

Filing an issue on github or editing the interfaces file or both? Filing an issue is definitely something "normal" users have done. "normal" people don't upgrade firmware on network adapaters or change MTUs. You have always seemed like a bit more of an advanced user. So, I thought editing the normal Debian interfaces file was a reasonable request to get your system working.

I'm not a software developer.

Why would you have to be a software developer to file a bug report? I'm not the OMV developer and I think you might have hit a bug. So, filing a bug report is the best thing to do. Since it is your system and could potentially help with the fix, you are the best one to do it. If you want to send me an Aquantia 10GBe card, I will do it.

I just expect this stuff to work...

Wasn't it working before you upgraded the firmware? Are you sure nothing went wrong with the firmware update? Are you sure the newer firmware isn't having a problem with the driver? I will make sure you get your purchase price returned to you...

• Well, I just updated the driver, still can't add the card in the UI, nor make any changes through omv-firstaid...
    Same error message.

The reason I upgraded the firmware is because Aquantia has had some issues with past firmwares and although things have worked, I've had issues with fairly high latency on these cards compared to normal Gigabit. Admittedly it doesn't really affect transfer between the NAS and my PC, but at the same time, I have a habit of keeping my firmwares up to date, regardless of the product. In many cases, it prevents security issues. Besides, I hadn't updated this card for the better part of two years, so I figured it was high time. And no, nothing went wrong during the firmware upgrade, as both cards are working and can communicate with each other.

The card clearly still works, the issue is with the error message I get when trying to make any changes through OMV.

So who am I supposed to contact if not OMV about the issue? Especially as having installed the latest drivers from Aquantia, solved nothing.
    I thought the point of this forum, was to report issues and not having to use some third party service.

I really loath how hard it is to do, what should be simple things, like updating drivers, in Linux. Every time, I spend hours and hours doing simple tasks.
    Beyond this issue, everything else, is mostly working, well, except every time there's an update for Docker, something breaks...

Sorry, I'm too attached to these cards, as I went through a whole heap of trouble getting them at the time.

And I hope you understand that although I'm venting frustration here, it's not aimed at you, since you actually try really hard to help people on the forums. I just find the way a lot of things are done the Linux world very frustrating.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The card clearly still works, the issue is with the error message I get when trying to make any changes through OMV.

Hence why I said it was an OMV bug best fixed by filing an issue - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault/openmediavault/issues

So who am I supposed to contact if not OMV about the issue? Especially as having installed the latest drivers from Aquantia, solved nothing.
    I thought the point of this forum, was to report issues and not having to use some third party service.

Here is the misunderstanding... I said file an issue and you took it as some other party. The forum is meant to discuss issue and reporting an issue on github formalizes the bug report (link above) and gives it a better chance of being seen by Volker.

I really loath how hard it is to do, what should be simple things, like updating drivers, in Linux. Every time, I spend hours and hours doing simple tasks.

Most people don't have to update drives because that happens with kernel updates. When using cards not well supported by Linux, you have this problem. Nothing OMV or really Linux can do if the manufacturer won't mainline the drivers. Windows is bad at this too.

Beyond this issue, everything else, is mostly working, well, except every time there's an update for Docker, something breaks...

Odd. I don't have this issues with mine. Hell, I even have my Ubuntu docker host on auto-patch and reboot. My containers just come back up and work. Sounds like some of the containers you are using are the problem.

Sorry, I'm too attached to these cards, as I went through a whole heap of trouble getting them at the time.

I have cheap, old 10GBe mellanox cards that work flawlessly in Linux...

And I hope you understand that although I'm venting frustration here, it's not aimed at you, since you actually try really hard to help people on the forums. I just find the way a lot of things are done the Linux world very frustrating.

If you choose to use hardware that isn't well supported in Linux, OMV can't magically make them better. The fact you hit a bug in OMV is just a coincidence. I understand venting but when directed at the person helping you (yes, it seemed that way), it is like biting the hand that feeds you.

And Linux seems frustrating to you because Windows has ruined your mindset. OMV tries to make things "easier" like windows but it can't do everything especially since you are talking about a one man project compared to Microsoft.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!