Raspberrypi images

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will there be a Raspberrypi image for version 5 of Open media vault some time soon?

Maybe. I have been working on it in my spare time. Until then, install the raspbian buster lite image and following guide on installing OMV 5 on Debian 10.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hi. ryecoaaron Just wanted to ask if you did any development on OMV 5 OS for the RPI, or if you stopped or something. Just to know if/when I decide to upgrade, that I should go look for an OMV 5 OS image file, or that the development stopped and I should just go for the Raspbian tutorial. If you made some decision, of course.

Aside from this above, may I ask 2 questions?

1. What's the difference between installing OMV OS or following the tutorial of installing OMV on top of Raspbian Lite? Less performance on the 2nd option, for example? Or it's the same?
    2. Is there any "emergency reason" to upgrade OMV? Can I always stay on the same main release? I'm on OMV 4 OS now on my RPi. Could I stay with it for years? Like installing OMV 3 and staying with it? (Doesn't mean I will, it's just so I know if there are any implications on that.)
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Just wanted to ask if you did any development on OMV 5 OS for the RPI, or if you stopped or something.

I've spent a lot of time creating the install script that works very well on RPis with raspberry pi os lite. I won't be creating an image because it doesn't really help anything and isn't able to be automated since OMV's saltstack doesn't work in chroot. Following the guide will get you a perfect RPi running OMV.

What's the difference between installing OMV OS or following the tutorial of installing OMV on top of Raspbian Lite?

Nothing. OMV isn't an OS. It is just packages on top of Debian (raspbian is debian).

Less performance on the 2nd option, for example? Or it's the same?

Identical.

Is there any "emergency reason" to upgrade OMV?

Are you still running Windows 95?

Can I always stay on the same main release?

You can do whatever you want. Should you stay on an old release? No.

Could I stay with it for years?

You shouldn't. What is so bad about upgrading?

Like installing OMV 3 and staying with it?

OMV 3 is ancient. Don't use it just because there is an OMV image out there somewhere for it. If you care anything about security, don't use old versions.

• Zitat

I've spent a lot of time creating the install script that works very well on RPis with raspberry pi os lite. I won't be creating an image because it doesn't really help anything and isn't able to be automated since OMV's saltstack doesn't work in chroot. Following the guide will get you a perfect RPi running OMV.

Nothing. OMV isn't an OS. It is just packages on top of Debian (raspbian is debian).

Identical.

Oh ok then! Might consider upgrading then!

Zitat

Are you still running Windows 95?

You can do whatever you want. Should you stay on an old release? No.

You shouldn't. What is so bad about upgrading?

OMV 3 is ancient. Don't use it just because there is an OMV image out there somewhere for it. If you care anything about security, don't use old versions.

Sorry for my ignorance on the matter. I don't really know much about Linux. To be honest I never really liked it. Windows has everything done haha. Maybe some day I change my mind. When I learn about Linux, I guess. I was thinking security things would still be released by debian channels. So yeah, I should have read more about OMV before installing it 4 or 5 years ago 😄. I shall, some time.

Zitat

What is so bad about upgrading?

Again, my non-comfortability messing with Linux stuff (specially on a terminal - if it was an OS with a GUI, maybe I could try, I guess) won't let me upgrade without formatting the Pi to be sure everything goes as it's supposed to. That means installing and configuring again - what I did when I upgraded from 3 to 4. And that I will do when I upgrade to 5 some time. It's laziness, basically haha.

---------------

Just one more thing then, since I'm talking with someone on the matter. Is it being considered to support the desktop versions of Raspbian? Or it will stay on the CLI versions? (If you know.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it being considered to support the desktop versions of Raspbian?

No. Desktop environments do things that conflict with OMV. I honestly don't know how the desktop environment would help. It still isn't Windows. There is an upgrade script. Just look on the forum. If you can't run a few commands from the command line, then OMV may not be the right choice.

my non-comfortability messing with Linux stuff (specially on a terminal - if it was an OS with a GUI, maybe I could try, I guess

What is the difference between a desktop environment running the RPi with a terminal and running putty on windows to connect via ssh?? Nothing.

To be honest I never really liked it. Windows has everything done haha.

If you only knew.... Try setting up a fileserver with all of the features of OMV on windows once. And even Windows server uses the command line a lot now.

• No. Desktop environments do things that conflict with OMV. I honestly don't know how the desktop environment would help. It still isn't Windows. There is an upgrade script. Just look on the forum.

Oh. What a pity. Good to know though.

The upgrade part, from what I read at least years ago, one needed to check plugins and stuff before or after upgrading, so everything would install properly and nothing incompatible would go along with the installation. But since you say there's an upgrade script, I'll have a look at it when I upgrade OMV. Thanks!

Zitat

If you can't run a few commands from the command line, then OMV may not be the right choice.

What is the difference between a desktop environment running the RPi with a terminal and running putty on windows to connect via ssh?? Nothing.

That's exactly what I do. I have Putty and run the commands from there on Windows. And I don't mind. I almost don't go there. The web GUI is really good.

The thing is I'm making a virtual assistant. And the way I made its first version, it would start various windows, each one doing its thing. That way I could go on each one and see what's happening, for example. I was thinking of making it the same way now that I'm coding it from 0, at least on Windows, with hidden windows (since the Interactive Service Session seems to be for the SYSTEM user - something I didn't know in the other version --> security issues). On the Pi would be the same idea - if it had a desktop environment (Full Raspbian). I might still see if I can switch between open programs on the terminal or something. If not, I either think of something else, or I'll just let the scripts run by themselves without me looking and seeing if everything's alright.

Thank you for your time!

EDIT:

Zitat

If you only knew.... Try setting up a fileserver with all of the features of OMV on windows once. And even Windows server uses the command line a lot now.

Oh. Didn't about that. Interesting to have in mind then haha. Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!