HELP PLEASE - After Upgrade from 3.099 to 4x system crashed. RAID gone.

• It states the same sdb, sdc, sdd and sde. But it also shows sda - which is a Samsung SSD running the OMV OS.

I would need to open the machine to check how many hard drives I actually put in there. I cannot recall. Is there any other way to discover the missing disks (if any)?

And, No..I don't have a backup... and yes, I read your signature..."Raid is not a backup!"...

• Is it worthwhile to now try to re-install OMV? Shall I unplug all of the Hard Drives of the RAID first?

Or do you suggest to use a different approach and rather try it via a software repair?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hopefully everything is OK... but why would you be "SUPER afraid of losing your data" and not have a backup?

Hopefully you're OK from this and you've learned a lesson the easy way. BACK UP YOUR DATA. RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It states the same sdb, sdc, sdd and sde.

That means according to this mdadm: /dev/md0 has been started with 4 drives (out of 6) two drives are either physically missing or have died, if they have died then you need to replace them.

I would need to open the machine to check how many hard drives I actually put in there. I cannot recall.

Well you need to confirm something, according to the output there should 6 drives in that array.

Is it worthwhile to now try to re-install OMV? Shall I unplug all of the Hard Drives of the RAID first?

Or do you suggest to use a different approach and rather try it via a software repair?

TBH your choice, I have never needed to do this but then again I did unplug my working raid, the same when I changed hardware.

The question you need to ask, can I backup the stuff I don't want to lose, just in case, because if you can't then anything you do should have the data drives unplugged, unless it's for repairing the raid itself.

• Ok. Understood. Thank you!

Is there a command to stop the current RAID again before I shut down OMV? The problem is that via the GUI I cannot shut it down anymore - it gives me an error. So I need to do a cold shut-down. Therefore I am thinking it might be worthwhile to stop the RAID before doing that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The problem is that via the GUI I cannot shut it down anymore - it gives me an error.

?( Right then you may have to go down the re-install option, but first you could try clearing the browser cache and try again, if that fails ssh into OMV and run omv-firstaid there is an option 10 clear web control panel cache, then try the gui shutdown.

Or from your ssh login just run shutdown now.

You have already tried to stop the array and it failed, that will require a different approach.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!