System disk suddenly running full >85%

• Thanks. I think it was the rsync push that somebody mentioned. By accident i had the backup rsync set on "on reboot". That would explain it, but how can i get rid of that useless data that occupies the space? Another restart didnt help...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You delete the files. And then you are rid of them.

The easiest way to fix this is to boot from other media and examine the rootfs when it is not in use. Then all the mount points will be unmounted and any "junk" files should be visible. For a SD card this means removing it and examining it from some other Linux computer with a SD card reader. It might be a Windows computer temporarily booted from a Linux USB drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That depends on where you, by mistake, had rsync put the junk files. That is most likely where they are.

But: The files are most likely somewhere where devices are mounted. Sub directories to /srv comes to mind.

You can (should!) double check if you are ever so slightly unsure by comparing the folders when the rootfs is running or not. If there are different files there when the rootfs is running compared to when it is not, then the files there when the rootfs is not running are most likely junk files.

If you find this difficult or time consuming you could just reinstall from scratch. And not run rsync before (remote?) devices are mounted.

I would boot Ubuntu from the thumb drive. And after boot install Midnight Commander to make navigating the rootfs easier.

• Thanks a lot. I will try and check, but i also have a backup made with dd, that i could use to wipe the drive and restore a working config.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!