Backing up with Clonezilla - Can you tell me what files clonezilla should output?

• Background information
    I am in the process of backing up my server with clonezila.

I have followed a tutorial but when I look at the output from clonezilla I find I have lots of different files in a folder. (See image below).

I was expecting clonezilla to just give me an .img or and .iso file.

My Question
    Can anyone tell me what output I should expect from clonezilla when back up is complete?

• I was expecting clonezilla to just give me an .img or and .iso file.

No, a directory with several files is created by Clonezilla. Different things are stored in different files e.g. Master boot record, Partition table, the payload itself and so on.

For a restore of that "image" you need the complete content of this folder. But don´t care about the files in this folder. If you want to restore a Clonezilla backup you are simply asked for the name of that folder.

I would recommend you to run through the restoration process also, not only the backup process to be familiar if it should be necessary sometime.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• No, a directory with several files is created by Clonezilla. Different things are stored in different files e.g. Master boot record, Partition table, the payload itself and so on.
    For a restore of that "image" you need the complete content of this folder. But don´t care about the files in this folder. If you want to restore a Clonezilla backup you are simply asked for the name of that folder.

I would recommend you to run through the restoration process also, not only the backup process to be familiar if it should be necessary sometime.

Thanks for the reply @cabrio_leo

I read through you reply I wasn't clear if the files in the image are correct.

Please can you clarify if the files in the image look correct.

-------------------------------------------

I agree with with what you are saying about going through the restore process, but I don't have a spare machine to do this one and don't want to risk the machine that is 'in production'.

Would it be possible to set up a virtual machine of ubuntu and then run clonezilla to make the resotre.

I could get the virtual machine (vm) working but wouldn't know how to get the vm to boot to clonezilla, if you could advise me on this that would be a great help.

Thank you for your support :)

• Please can you clarify if the files in the image look correct.

Please see attached a screenshot of a recent Clonezilla backup which I have created some days ago. You can compare by yourself if you want. But it seems different to yours at first glance. But this may depend of the type of data medium.

During the Clonezilla backup process there is an option to verify the image with the original data. You should activate this.

Would it be possible to set up a virtual machine of ubuntu and then run clonezilla to make the resotre.

No idea.

I could get the virtual machine (vm) working but wouldn't know how to get the vm to boot to clonezilla, if you could advise me on this that would be a great help.

I am sorry, but I have absolutely no experience with Clonezilla in a virtual environment.

Thank you for your support

You´re welcome :)

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• If you do full disk passthrough into the VM, then you can restore your OMV backup onto it easily enough. You'll also need your VM to allow access to the HDD (internal or external) that you used to backup OMV to so that it can mount it.

You just need to boot your VM using the CloneZilla ISO and follow the instructions.

I did exactly this recently when I migrated from OMV baremetal to OMV in a Proxmox VM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!